Fruitless Mulberry for sale?

mujino

Established Member
Hi all! I really want to get into raising my own silks, which means I should probably invest in a tree. I've scoured the interwebs and I haven't been able to find a fruitless (or white) dwarf mulberry tree. The full-sized aren't going to work for me so I need the dwarf cultivar. Sadly, white/fruitless mulberry seem to be out of stock at every nursery locally (PNW), or no longer sold. Ideally looking for a plant, not cuttings or seeds.

I know several on this forum either have mulberry trees or know where to get them. Can you help me with suggestions where to find them? Many thanks!

I have a white mulberry in a pot. You're not gunna get enough leaves from a tree unless it's massive in your yard. Silks will easily devour handfuls of leaves. I use it for occasional gutload.

Caveat Emptor?
Not so easy online...
Yes, I agree; that's where a buyer must be particularly vigilant.

Online, ratings can help, but I think we've all heard of (and maybe seen) bogus or paid ratings. Missus & I also check out the #s of ratings (2500 4.5 stars usually outweigh one or two 5 stars) and we actually read a sampling of the 1 & 2 star ratings. We find those the most telling (and entertaining :rolleyes:). Sometimes they're written by idjits and unwarranted; other times they're very telling about quality & customer service. YMMV.

I have 4 of these in my yard...I let them weep to the ground. I never have run out of leaves and the tree never gets bare. In the fall...if I wanted to, I bet I could strip the leaves before they fall and make them into chow of some kind for the winter...but that's too much work for me! :)
https://www.geranium.com/blog/mulberry-tree/

If you buy the weeping ones they will/should only be about 6 or 7 feet tall.

Last edited:
I have 4 of these in my yard...I let them weep to the ground. I never have run out of leaves and the tree never gets bare. In the fall...if I wanted to, I bet I could strip the leaves before they fall and make them into chow of some kind for the winter...but that's too much work for me! :)
https://www.geranium.com/blog/mulberry-tree/

If you buy the weeping ones they will/should only be about 6 or 7 feet tall.

These survive your winters so I'm guessing they could live here in PA... any idea where I could buy one lol I want to plant it in my yard. The one i have would definitely not keep up with silks, it grows straight up. I'd imagine a large one would have enough leaves, but would then be too tall to harvest from. I'm also not sure mine would survive the winter.

Hopefully they will have it. Also when you get it ask about whether it's fruiting or not because I think some of them can produce berries.

Back
Top Bottom