Fruitfly media

busterboy

Do fruitflies need the media? Or can I just throw some fruit in a container for them?

How do they lay eggs?

I want to breed them

Just buy some media or make your own.
A simple recipe:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup instant potatoes (edited) How could I miss one of the most important ingredients?:confused:
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Brewer's yeast (optional, but important)
and a sprinkle of regular yeast on top.
Excelsior or coffee filters for surface area for flies and you're set, just add flies.

Last edited:
I just recently started to culture my own flies. I used the Repashy Super Fly media mix. Bought some 32oz deli cups with the screen lids and some excelsior. Making the mix was super super easy, just add bowling water and 3 tablespoons. First culture was done on 5/5, and now have lots of fly pupae going. So far it's working great.

I just recently started to culture my own flies. I used the Repashy Super Fly media mix. Bought some 32oz deli cups with the screen lids and some excelsior. Making the mix was super super easy, just add bowling water and 3 tablespoons. First culture was done on 5/5, and now have lots of fly pupae going. So far it's working great.

i second the Repashy media. Its cheap and works great. Ive tried others and this is by far my favorite.

I've heard lots of good things about rapashy mix but I've never used it , I've always made my own with bananas ,plain oats , apple sauce , vinigar , yeast and a bit of water , coffee filters work well for the surface area but I like excelsior more , when u do add flys to a culture don't put to many in 20-30 flys per culture to start will get u good numbers , I put to many in my first batch of cultures years ago and the maggots covered the cups and u couldn't see into it , they were all over the place and they started to pop threw the cloth I had for a lid

Just buy some media or make your own.
A simple recipe:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup instant potatoes (edited) How could I miss one of the most important ingredients?:confused:
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Brewer's yeast (optional, but important)
and a sprinkle of regular yeast on top.
Excelsior or coffee filters for surface area for flies and you're set, just add flies.

I use pretty much the same ingredient above but I substitute the sugar with honey (2-3 table spoon) as honey is a natural substance to inhibit bacterial growth.

I use pretty much the same ingredient above but I substitute the sugar with honey (2-3 table spoon) as honey is a natural substance to inhibit bacterial growth.

I have been using Rapashy but like the idea of making my own,I will have to try this out!

Honey? Ill have to try that for my dart frog cultures , mold is one of the down sides I've been having lately , vinigar is spose to help but only for so long it seems

I started breeding fruit flies for our poison dart frogs a while back (3/17/2013). We made 4 cultures using the Repashy Superfly, and have just now gotten to the point of needing to make more cultures up. I use empty Gatorade bottles with coffee filters for them to lay on, and replaced the lid with a coffee filter over the mouth of the bottle being held on by a rubber band. It works pretty well, but I want to push it further and make custom lids for them. I can never leave well enough alone.

Also, make sure that when pouring boiling water into plastic, to be safe...it will melt the plastic if you are not careful. I suggest letting it cool a bit before pouring it into anything plastic.

I use Josh's Frogs media - works very well for long lived cultures and a big jug of it lasts for a very long time if you only have a few cultures at a time.

Back
Top Bottom