Fruitflies

Melanogaster for new borns. Hydei for later on. The reason being is based on ff production not so much on size of prey. Although the hydei are larger new borns can still eat them no prob. The mels produce alot more ff's per culture and even though you have to feed more prey its still easier to keep up at first. Get some cultures of both and once the hydei start producing you can start switching off between them and you'll have cultures that dont get depleted. Hope that made sense...

Melanogaster for new borns. Hydei for later on. The reason being is based on ff production not so much on size of prey. Although the hydei are larger new borns can still eat them no prob. The mels produce alot more ff's per culture and even though you have to feed more prey its still easier to keep up at first. Get some cultures of both and once the hydei start producing you can start switching off between them and you'll have cultures that dont get depleted. Hope that made sense...

Thanks Scott, as always very helpful.

It did make sense, and right on time too. I got some Melanogasters to start my cultures so I can be ready the babies! 7 months already. Probably another month or so to go, so I want to get some practice with these things.

both

at least my panther newborns were more than capable of eating both sizes/types
no reason not to keep both at once, making use of the varied production rates

Thats why I stated buy both and start feeding off the mels first. The mels will produce alot faster than the hydei. So if you start off feeding the mels your hydei cultures should have time to get really going. ;)

Back
Top Bottom