Fruit fly culturing

perca05

Hi...so I decided to start my own hydei fruit fly culture. I was wondering how long it will normally take before I see maggots in there. I created it on Sunday. I have another one I bought from my local reptile store, and it's going but very slow. Do those bigger flies take longer to multiply?

Thank!
Caroline

Hi...so I decided to start my own hydei fruit fly culture. I was wondering how long it will normally take before I see maggots in there. I created it on Sunday. I have another one I bought from my local reptile store, and it's going but very slow. Do those bigger flies take longer to multiply?

Thank!
Caroline

If done right, It will take a week to see top layer of your mix full of larve. And depending on temps two weeks or less you'll start to see flies.

Thank!
Caroline

yes, the larger hydei flies do take longer than the smaller melanogaster flies.
in about 10- 14 days there will be lots of maggots. They crawl up the sides etc at about 16 days to pupate. At the third week you should get flies. And about a week later those flies will be done.

My husband starts a new culture every week, that way he has a constant supply for his 3 dart frogs. I honestly don't have any more info than that, as it's his project, but if you have questions let me know and I will ask him. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom