Front of both eyes are swollen on new veiled chameleon given to me. Photo provided.

aapuzzo

I'm not going to post all the husbandry info because it is unknown except the Chameleon was kept on Rapashy Calcium Plus with every feeding. I kept a veiled chameleon years ago and I believed I used Reptical Without D3 for most feedings, with D3 once a week, & a multi vitamin once a month. This was years ago before Rapashy Calcium Plus was a thing and the UVB bulbs were nowhere near as good. I use Calcium Plus every feeding with dart frogs because I was told it has far less D3 than the older products I used to use on my Chameleon. Not sure how this applies to chameleons which is why I am here asking. The UV light was and still is a Zoomed T5HO 5.0.

Attached is a picture which shows the front of the eyes swollen. This definitely does not look normal to me. Only one eye is displayed in the photo but both eyes are equally showing the same symptoms. Any idea? Taking to a reptile vet is out of the question as the only good one around has a 1.5 month waiting list. I have brought other reptiles in the past and it never helped.

Unless better ideas are provided I am going to give him plain calcium no D3 and see if conditions improve. He does eat extremely well and moves around.

Attachments

• 20201019_223959.jpg
    20201019_223959.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Hi there. I know that some keepers use Repashy Calcium Plus, but I’m not aware of how exactly they use it. Since the problem is both eyes, I’m going to say you’ve got a great idea of stopping the Calcium Plus and just dust with calcium without D3 at every feeding. For a combo Calcium with D3 and multivitamin, I’d suggest using Reptivite with D3 once every two weeks. I have been told it is one of the few multivitamins that contains preformed vitamin A for eye health.
I had tried Repashy Calcium with LoD last year (given with every feeding) and my cham had very similar eye puffs.

Rapashy Calcium Plus

Thats about 10x more D3 than needed

At best you want Rapashy Calcium Plus LOD. And that might still be too high for T5HO lighting.

As missskittles (which i keep reading as miss kitties) said, try a normal suppliment schedule for a month and see if the swelling goes away.

Hi there. I know that some keepers use Repashy Calcium Plus, but I’m not aware of how exactly they use it. Since the problem is both eyes, I’m going to say you’ve got a great idea of stopping the Calcium Plus and just dust with calcium without D3 at every feeding. For a combo Calcium with D3 and multivitamin, I’d suggest using Reptivite with D3 once every two weeks. I have been told it is one of the few multivitamins that contains preformed vitamin A for eye health.
I had tried Repashy Calcium with LoD last year (given with every feeding) and my cham had very similar eye puffs.

Thanks this confirms what I was thinking. How long did it take to see an improvement if you remember?

Rapashy Calcium Plus

Thats about 10x more D3 than needed

At best you want Rapashy Calcium Plus LOD. And that might still be too high for T5HO lighting.

As missskittles (which i keep reading as miss kitties) said, try a normal suppliment schedule for a month and see if the swelling goes away.

Great that makes 2. I'll report back soon regardless. After scouring the forums I have found very few people that ever successfully solved this issue with many going to the vet multiple times with no luck. I actually only found one post saying the vet helped but that was a chameleon with the issue in one eye. I can see vets not being very good at finding a vitamin overdose and only helping with parasites, stuck shed, or something an antibiotic can help.

It was actually an immediate problem and resolution. I had been using the Repashy LoD for only maybe 2-3 weeks and my girl was fine right up until she ate. The eyes puffed up almost immediately. Strangely I didn’t really put 2+2 together. The puffiness would usually resolve within a few hours and not return until the next feeding dusted in the LoD. Since your little one has been getting higher doses of D3 and for longer, it may take a bit of time to go away, provided that is the cause. This is what my girl’s eyes looked like. She also had some gular edema.
BD138435-5E42-4A12-B56A-F47A232C0EB4.jpeg

When the swelling of the conjunctival pocket at the front of the turret is bulging like that it usually needs to be flushed out as they can develop “pearls” of debris or infection there. They need to flushed out or manually removed. Here you can see the debris I removed out of a swelling that looked like that in an adult veiled Just last week. So it would be best to find a reptile vet in your area familiar with chameleons.

Attachments

• E7FEE443-065A-4FED-809C-D16FF2D437FD.jpeg
    E7FEE443-065A-4FED-809C-D16FF2D437FD.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 125
When the swelling of the conjunctival pocket at the front of the turret is bulging like that it usually needs to be flushed out as they can develop “pearls” of debris or infection there. They need to flushed out or manually removed. Here you can see the debris I removed out of a swelling that looked like that in an adult veiled Just last week. So it would be best to find a reptile vet in your area familiar with chameleons.
Does that generally occur in both eyes?

Inflammation of the turret conjunctiva can be caused by a piece of shed in the turret or other foreign material such a particulate matter from vines, sap from plants, or substrate, or an early respiratory infection. Hypovitaminosis A can also be at work given that it’s both eyes affected as it can cause respiratory epithelium to be abnormally thickened (hyperkeratosis) which impedes normal drainage of fluids and debris from the turret through the nasolacrimal duct. As the fluid backs up it causes inflammation and can lead to infection. Sometimes even “pearls” of debris form in the saggy portion of the turret that have to be removed. The most effective course of action is to go to a reptile vet so they can flush the turret out, hopefully dislodging any foreign material that may be residing in there, making sure the nasolacrimal duct is patent, and starting antibacterial and anti inflammatory ointment. These can be difficult to treat if they progress. Treating it now before it worsens is the best time to do it. Sometimes flushing is needed several times and even systemic medications in addition to topicals. Increase misting and if he is rubbing his face on anything from the discomfort it should be removed or wrapped because small bits can flake off when it’s rubbed. Disinfect any misting apparatus you make sure they are clean and not further contributing to the problem by spraying any mold or bacteria into the eyes.

Inflammation of the turret conjunctiva can be caused by a piece of shed in the turret or other foreign material such a particulate matter from vines, sap from plants, or substrate, or an early respiratory infection. Hypovitaminosis A can also be at work given that it’s both eyes affected as it can cause respiratory epithelium to be abnormally thickened (hyperkeratosis) which impedes normal drainage of fluids and debris from the turret through the nasolacrimal duct. As the fluid backs up it causes inflammation and can lead to infection. Sometimes even “pearls” of debris form in the saggy portion of the turret that have to be removed. The most effective course of action is to go to a reptile vet so they can flush the turret out, hopefully dislodging any foreign material that may be residing in there, making sure the nasolacrimal duct is patent, and starting antibacterial and anti inflammatory ointment. These can be difficult to treat if they progress. Treating it now before it worsens is the best time to do it. Sometimes flushing is needed several times and even systemic medications in addition to topicals. Increase misting and if he is rubbing his face on anything from the discomfort it should be removed or wrapped because small bits can flake off when it’s rubbed. Disinfect any misting apparatus you make sure they are clean and not further contributing to the problem by spraying any mold or bacteria into the eyes.
Many thanks for the detailed explanation! ?

How did you press that out? I was thinking about using a wet q-tip and trying. I haven't seen any rubbing on vines.

@ferretinmyshoes I wasn't intending on hijacking.... however, I have taken my girl to the vets 3x for what I am 100% certain is this blockage/debris. Are the chams usually sedated for this procedure and flushing, or is it done with them conscious? I'm concerned about the stress of the procedure on my already easily stressed girl... but I was planning to take her to another vet for this procedure. My original vet came highly recommended for reptiles but they've been way too hands off for what I think is pretty obvious.

OP - as mentioned, I have a similar issue. I was using Repashy LoD for about 6 months. Prior to that, the breeder used Calcium Plus, but with a different lighting setup T8 I believe. One of my females developed eye bulges which were attributed to a Vit A deficiency (5 other chameleons on it were ok). At the very onset, I waited 2 weeks and only used plain calcium, and then switched to a more traditional supplement schedule. I've seen numerous posts about Repashy LoD causing issues with female chams, and though I have no proof, I believe it attributed to my chameleon's eye issues.

I would have a vet flush/remove the debris ASAP and review your supplements. I brought my girl at the very onset of symptoms, when it was just a very minor puffiness, and they did not give it proper attention. 3 visits and several months, and her eyes are quite bad now. So get it addressed sooner than later as if she develops the buildup that Ferret mentions, it wont clear up on its own.

@ferretinmyshoes I wasn't intending on hijacking.... however, I have taken my girl to the vets 3x for what I am 100% certain is this blockage/debris. Are the chams usually sedated for this procedure and flushing, or is it done with them conscious? I'm concerned about the stress of the procedure on my already easily stressed girl... but I was planning to take her to another vet for this procedure. My original vet came highly recommended for reptiles but they've been way too hands off for what I think is pretty obvious.

OP - as mentioned, I have a similar issue. I was using Repashy LoD for about 6 months. Prior to that, the breeder used Calcium Plus, but with a different lighting setup T8 I believe. One of my females developed eye bulges which were attributed to a Vit A deficiency (5 other chameleons on it were ok). At the very onset, I waited 2 weeks and only used plain calcium, and then switched to a more traditional supplement schedule. I've seen numerous posts about Repashy LoD causing issues with female chams, and though I have no proof, I believe it attributed to my chameleon's eye issues.

I would have a vet flush/remove the debris ASAP and review your supplements. I brought my girl at the very onset of symptoms, when it was just a very minor puffiness, and they did not give it proper attention. 3 visits and several months, and her eyes are quite bad now. So get it addressed sooner than later as if she develops the buildup that Ferret mentions, it wont clear up on its own.

Unfortunately sometimes even with prompt treatment this can still recur or progress and I always warn people of that when we start treatment. The eyes are a very delicate structure in chameleons and once problems start they can be very difficult to get back on track.

I generally do not sedate for this. It is pretty quick if you know what you're doing. Flush, remove debris, flush, instill medication deep in the pocket and done. I have everything prepared before starting to make it fast to reduce stress. Generally it's pretty well tolerated by the chams despite the brief stress.

How did you press that out? I was thinking about using a wet q-tip and trying. I haven't seen any rubbing on vines.

You can try to gently massage the area with a q-tip but it is difficult to manipulate in a little cham and you could do damage by packing it in or hurt the eye so be cautious. You can use the ARAV site to try to find a reptile vet near you: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 although there are reptile vets not on there too.

Unfortunately sometimes even with prompt treatment this can still recur or progress and I always warn people of that when we start treatment. The eyes are a very delicate structure in chameleons and once problems start they can be very difficult to get back on track.

I generally do not sedate for this. It is pretty quick if you know what you're doing. Flush, remove debris, flush, instill medication deep in the pocket and done. I have everything prepared before starting to make it fast to reduce stress. Generally it's pretty well tolerated by the chams despite the brief stress.

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom