Frog and Lizard?

Guacamole331

Has anyone housed another critter with their chameleon? I have had Guac (veiled chameleon) and Hopper (gray tree frog) living together for over 10 months now. They get along and have never fought or attempted! They tend to sit together under the heat lamp ? just thought I'd share! Maybe world's friendliest chameleon?!? Or best bro's!

Attachments

• B46C2527-262E-45E1-85C5-2F818C9565BC.jpeg
    B46C2527-262E-45E1-85C5-2F818C9565BC.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Hello!

Has anyone housed another critter with their chameleon? I have had Guac (veiled chameleon) and Hopper (gray tree frog) living together for over 10 months now. They get along and have never fought or attempted! They tend to sit together under the heat lamp ? just thought I'd share! Maybe world's friendliest chameleon ever?!? Or best brother's!
Up to you, but you might be missing a frog one day.

Until he decides to eat the frog just because he is big enough finally to take him down.

AND TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS. You should NEVER co habitat ANYTHING with a Chameleon.

Definitely agree. I am not promoting the idea, just wanted to share. Guac was about 2 months when I got him and introduced him to Hopper. I think he is use to the frog since he only knows that being in the same cage since the beginning. It does work out with the tree frog being nocturnal and Guac day time but I wouldn't try with anything else. The picture doesn't show the frog justice. He's pretty big. I raised him from a tadpole and is 2 years old now.

Definitely agree. I am not promoting the idea, just wanted to share. Guac was about 2 months when I got him and introduced him to Hopper. I think he is use to the frog since he only knows that being in the same cage since the beginning. It does work out with the tree frog being nocturnal and Guac day time but I wouldn't try with anything else. The picture doesn't show the frog justice. He's pretty big. I raised him from a tadpole and is 2 years old now.
I get what your saying... But essentially your first post made it seem like this is ok to do.

I hope your not very attached to the frog is all....

For what it is worth animals can become accustomed to what would normally be pray. The best example of this I have seen is with fish and turtles. I had a tank with a red ear slider, 13 inch black ghost, and a pair of breeding jeweled cichlids.
The Jeweled cichlids and especially the young could be easily eaten, but were not by the turtle. Even though his food was live goldfish about the same size.

So things happen. But I think if we try to recreate these we will fail alot.

Do you ever notice your cham getting stressed by the frog? Is the frog highly active at night? Otherwise, I don't advocate it but still think it's cool that they've co-habitated for almost a year now (y)

Last edited:
Do you ever notice your cham getting stressed by the frog? Does the frog make noise at night? Otherwise, I don't advocate it but still think it's cool that they've co-habitated for two years now (y)
It has been a little over 10 months! I have had the cham for over 10 months and the treefrog for 2 years. And honestly I can't say I have seen the cham stressed because of the frog. The frog doesn't make noise other than rustling in the decorations here and there. Guac does get stressed if my dog ever goes by the cage but other than that I rarely see him stressed. It is very interesting. But, like Beman said above, I wouldn't recommend. I didn't have a choice because I moved into an apartment and didn't have room for 2 tanks.

uh i thought you were supposed to keep dogs away from chameleons because those are literally like, natural predators???

umm thats not exactly my definition of "separated". and just for anyone else reading this IMO i feel like no animal should be cohabitated with a chameleon, and no dogs or cats should be near chameleons.

umm thats not exactly my definition of "separated". and just for anyone else reading this IMO i feel like no animal should be cohabitated with a chameleon, and no dogs or cats should be near chameleons.

Lighten up, Frances :) My cham's 2'x4' enclosure is about 3' off the ground and my two dogs walk by it with no interest through out the day. I even have a cat that has no clue or interest in the enclosure. But then it's not like I'm introducing the cham to them so the dogs and cat don't even know the cham exists and vice-vesa.

Back
Top Bottom