Friday photo post.

@Nate, Do you breed Parson's? They are probably my all time favorite. How many chams do you have? Are they more difficult to keep than panthers?

I'm in Boston too! :) (well Brighton to be more precise)

Hey, Nate. I assume you've probably noticed my attitude towards seeing this species in captivity at least once or twice so I hope you can appreciate the difficulty for me in saying this. I really haven't been able to appreciate Irwin's size until seeing that recent pic of him on your hand. You really have done a fantastic job with him. Of all the Parson's morphs, those orange eyes that develop the white/grey heads have always been my favorite. He is truly magnificent. Bravo!

Kent,

Thanks! Appreciate it. I take good care of my chameleons. Legally too I might add (well controversial from the legality side of the breeder - CB parsonii? LOL. Hmm questionable). For the few Boston/MA posters who responded to this post. I just want you to be aware that Chameleon species are PERMIT animals in the state of MA. You may want to apply for a permit from the Dept. of Fisheries & Wildlife. They will require a signed affidavit from the breeder stating that your chameleon is captive bred FYI. It's cheap, like $30 bucks for a permit.

For permit information and request contact:

Bob Arini (he's great to work with)
251 Causeway St,
First Floor
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 626-1590

As for breeding questions, because these are permit animals, I only have a permit to own NOT breed. I do have intentions to breed, but that would require a whole new set of permits and a possible onsite inspection. Not sure how much hassle I want to get into right now.

Hey, Nate. I assume you've probably noticed my attitude towards seeing this species in captivity at least once or twice so I hope you can appreciate the difficulty for me in saying this. I really haven't been able to appreciate Irwin's size until seeing that recent pic of him on your hand. You really have done a fantastic job with him. Of all the Parson's morphs, those orange eyes that develop the white/grey heads have always been my favorite. He is truly magnificent. Bravo!

Jan,

Here is a growth comparison. Pardon the cell phone camera pictures. He is 3 years right now.

Nate

Irwin is one beautiful animal! :) So grown up from his baby picture. How old is he now?

Attachments

• age.jpg
    age.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 156
I never knew that about MA. Is that a newer law? Any links on the details? Can you ship somebody a cham there? GREAT LooKiNG PaRSons by the way!

James,

NO it's not a new law. You can't sell chameleons to people in MA unless they obtain a permit. Although many breeder's ship all the time. The problem is, as a breeder, you aren't really required to know all the laws of each state. The burden falls on the person buying from you to furnish proper paperwork.

You can find out here:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/regulations_exotic.htm
http://www.neherp.com/state-regulations/74-massachusetts

Regulations regarding the possession of lizards are quite detailed and should be consulted (321 CMR 9.01) for specifics. Some generalities are listed as follows.

LAWFUL (no MassWildlife permit required):

All skinks (including the Solomon Islands Prehensile-Tailed Tree Skink) rare species, and skinks listed below as unlawful.
False Club-tailed Lizards, Girdle-tailed Lizards, Plated Lizards, and Rock

Lizards;
Most Teiid Lizards;
Some Lacertid Lizards and Lateral-fold Lizards;
All Gekkos except rare species and the Big Bend Gekko;
Several iguanids, including Basilisks, Collared and Leopard Lizards, Common (Green) Iguana, False Iguana, New World Chameleons, Spiny Lizards, and Tree and Bush Lizards;
Some Agamid Lizards, such as the Water Dragon, and most Night Lizards.

UNLAWFUL:
Rare species, Florida Sand Skinks, Solomon Islands Ground Skink, Chameleons, Monitor Lizards, Gila Monster and Beaded Lizard, and any other lizards not specifically listed.

I never knew that about MA. Is that a newer law? Any links on the details? Can you ship somebody a cham there? GREAT LooKiNG PaRSons by the way!

Wow thanks for the details. I have family in mass so i wouldnt want to get them in any trouble by sending them a cham, again thank you!

It wouldn't hurt to call and ask if he'd want to do a breeding project with you. Mybe he'd let u breed your male to his female and split the neonates. Hey, i just want a baby. lol

I must say that I cannot believe that MA has a reptile law considering there is little chance that any exotic would ever survive over the winter. Talk about over regulation. Now I could understand if you live in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom