Fresh Branches?

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Hi all,

There are a good amount of chameleon safe trees around me, so instead of purchasing branches I was hoping I could use local ones. The issue is, there aren't a lot of dead branches. Is there an issue with cutting fresh branches, cleaning them off, and using them? I've seen some people say they cut branches for their cages but I wasn't sure if they dried them or not.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: iMi
If they are chameleon safe, I don't think it would matter but the problem is sap. Living trees often leak sap for some time after they are cut and that wouldn't be fun with a chameleon. I would cut some, let them dry out for a week or two, clean them a bunch, and then try putting them in your cham's cage. If it is a type of tree that doesn't really have much sap or is resistant to much sap leakage, then you will probably be fine with letting them sit for about a week just to be safe. That is what I did with the branches I got from my area.

I prefer to wash and then dry in the sun for week or so. (Being in the UK I can only do this in between rain showers during the English so called summer).

Please don't kill a tree though just save a few bucks. There's usually some dead fall knocking around. I'm lucky to get loads of oak here and the winter storms always bring some down.

I've gathered a couple of branches. I've decided I want to give them a wash with soap and water just to be on the safe side. Would dawn dish soap work or would you recommend something else instead. I figured it would be safe because it's used in oil spill cleanup on animals but I'm not ever sure of myself :panda:

I wouldn't use soap. If you must sanitize, baking would be ideal or sitting out in the sun. If you can't do that maybe pour boiling water over them. You can just scrub it with water to get any dirt off.

I've gathered a couple of branches. I've decided I want to give them a wash with soap and water just to be on the safe side. Would dawn dish soap work or would you recommend something else instead. I figured it would be safe because it's used in oil spill cleanup on animals but I'm not ever sure of myself :panda:

I wouldn't use soap. Stick them in the oven at 300 degrees for maybe 30 minutes. It will kill off anything that you wouldn't want to share a living space with you Cham. That should sanitize them and dry them out a little.

I'll scrub with water and then try boiling water, and try to find a sun spot. I don't think they'll fit in the oven. Thanks so much guys!

Back
Top Bottom