Free range uv light

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Is this possible to work? I have for bulbs around my free range tree. Can I put 6% or 10% uvb bulbs there and make it permanent enclosure for my chameleon? The bulbs are about half meter far from top of the tree. I could make probably one linear t5HO light hangong on the middle too. Is that possible?
BB662110-045C-45AF-A5B3-0E422DF0FB39.jpeg
7FA9E80F-3449-4500-A93A-F3BBD040F176.jpeg

You have two options. The MH type bulbs are good for big areas, but can produce too much heat. You would only use 1. maybe 2 if it is a large area.
The Better option for me , and I use both, is the 12% 48 uvb. Without screen It can be suspended high enough to be safe. One bulb will but out UVB in the 1 to 3 range over a much larger area with deeper exposure. From my celling I get 6+ uvi at about 9 to 10 inches. This is the closest you want them . You will get a UVI of 1 as far as 24 inches down.

The screw in type you are using on reach a few inches. That is why they don't work in this application.

Yes and no. You’ll want a linear UVB bulb in the linear fixture. Depending on how far way the fixture is hung changes the strength of the fixture (T8 or T5 High Output) and strength of the UVB bulb (5.0/6% r 10.0/12%). A heat bulb needs to go in the regular screw in fixture that you drew next to it. As @CasqueAbove said, mercury vapor bulbs can work as a heat and UVB in one. It would go in the regular screw in fixture that you drew, no linear fixture needed. They need to far away and titled at a 45* angle. @Beman can help with linear UVB distances. If you use a mercury vapor bulb, you’ll need to get a UVI Solarmeter if you don’t one one. It’s preferred to have one anyway, but is especially needed for a mercury vapor bulb

Yes and no. You’ll want a linear UVB bulb in the linear fixture. Depending on how far way the fixture is hung changes the strength of the fixture (T8 or T5 High Output) and strength of the UVB bulb (5.0/6% r 10.0/12%). A heat bulb needs to go in the regular screw in fixture that you drew next to it. As @CasqueAbove said, mercury vapor bulbs can work as a heat and UVB in one. It would go in the regular screw in fixture that you drew, no linear fixture needed. They need to far away and titled at a 45* angle. @Beman can help with linear UVB distances. If you use a mercury vapor bulb, you’ll need to get a UVI Solarmeter if you don’t one one. It’s preferred to have one anyway, but is especially needed for a mercury vapor bulb
The question is if I can get that bulb and I really dont have an idea where can I get the uv measurer..

Okay I just need to figure out how to make all that in one day.. I wouldn’t agree about looking nicer part 😁

So in your case easy. Three of the four hanging lights I would us LED plant bulbs. One I would put incandescent for a basking.
Then you just have the linier fixture. The common ones are designed that you mount the clips to the celling and it pops in. This is how I have it in my other one, but the height is just right.
Depending on your ceiling height. The one I showed I just used swag hooks, and on the wall wiring. The kits are cheep. That is just for looks.

You got something nice going.

@Beman can you tell on what height what lamp and uv percentage should I use? Tree is 2 meters wide.
So a linear single bulb or 1 reflector per bulb in a multi bulb T5 fixture without screen blocking it... using a 5.0 or 6% bulb you would need about a 11-12 inch distance to the branch below for a 3 UVI level. A UVI 1 is about 21 inches down. Your range is a 1-3 UVI for usable UVB.

So a linear single bulb or 1 reflector per bulb in a multi bulb T5 fixture without screen blocking it... using a 5.0 or 6% bulb you would need about a 11-12 inch distance to the branch below for a 3 UVI level. A UVI 1 is about 21 inches down. Your range is a 1-3 UVI for usable UVB.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom