Freaking Myself Out

paleopossum

So here I am again freaking out...big surprise. I was just looking around at threads and one mentioned that if a cham is grabbing itself it's a sign of MBD...Lolita does it occasionally, but like manly if she is climbing on me and goes to grab something she'll grab her front leg. She then gets upset cuz she's trying to move, but can't cuz she trapped herself and what not, until she learns what she did and lets go and keeps going. She gets calcium without D3 about five times a week and every two weeks she gets a couple days of calcium with D3. She has her reptisun UVB 5.0 bulb on from 8-8 and when I'm home and not busy goes outside for at least half an hour. So she basically goes outside four times a week. Her breeder was amazing and has a long line of lineage with no problems and i'm just scaring myself. I need some reassurance because from what I can tell she's perfectly healthy. She's been to the vet before when she had a super mild case of mouth rot when I first got her (again was looking around on here and freaked out) and the vet said she was perfectly healthy that was like two to three months ago.

Literally the selfie with me and her was taken last week and the other phone was during that same week. Also in the picture showing her side if you look on my wrist you can see where she pulled skin up from gripping me a bit, so she isn't weak. I just need reassurance or something guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 99
She looks nice and healthy. I would keep an eye on it when shes in her cage. If she grabs her leg or tail and doesn't immediately try to correct her grip then I would start getting concerned. But, as long as she is climbing good, has a strong grip and can hold herself up on a branch then I wouldn't worry.

You might want to check the date on your UVB bulb most expire after 6 mos. Just in case.
It's probably not MBD. In the few I've seen that have MBD you see other signs and they have a hard time correcting their grip when they do it.

You might want to check the date on your UVB bulb most expire after 6 mos. Just in case.
It's probably not MBD. In the few I've seen that have MBD you see other signs and they have a hard time correcting their grip when they do it.
Her uvb was changed about a month ago not sure exact day cuz I don't have my book were I write every thing down lol.

Then you are in good shape. It's just something to keep in mind if you fear MBD.
Ok I just got freaked out cuz she'll do it some times, but it's like she doesn't understand why she can't move, so I just thought it was cuz she was having a stupid moment haha. Cuz she would want to keep moving it's just she grabbed herself instead.

I would suggest filling out the help form sticky and posting it. The few minutes it takes is well worth it. Many problems can cause irreversible damage and it's always terrible to see that happen. Not saying your e doing anything wrong, but just as a precautionary.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 8 month old female panther chameleon.
  • Handling - It depends...when i'm at school she never gets handled and when I come home every other weekend she gets taken outside for like an hour, but she always tried to climb on people to come out.
  • Feeding - About 6 gut loaded crickets a day
  • Supplements - Five times a week she gets calcium without D3 and every two weeks gets calcium with D3 by ZooMed and multivitamin powder by ExoTerra.
  • Watering - Misted three times a day and every other day the dripper is put on for her.
  • Fecal Description - It varies...some times it's every other day and others it's three to four days. They are normal with white urates and light brown.
  • History - She had a very mild case of mouth rot when I first got her, but antibiotics and a vet trip solved that.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - ExoTerra Skyscraper
  • Lighting - 8am-8pm lighting time, Zoomed UVB 5.0 and I forget the wattage but I think it's a 60 watt zoomed bulb.
  • Temperature - Usually the ambient is high 70s and the basking spot is in the 80s.
  • Humidity - 60% humidity (I know it should be higher I am working on it.)
  • Plants - Mostly fake but she has a live snake plant and pathos.)
  • Placement - On a night stand next to my bed. No one goes in there except me and rarely family members since I am very protective of my reptiles and don't like people messing with them.
  • Location - I'm in Maryland

Back
Top Bottom