Found veiled in garden

xcynnerx

Hey all! New to this site, and the world of reptiles. My aunt was walking by my dads organic garden, and saw something "green and moving". She phoned my dad to tell him this and, low and behold, here's this beautiful lizard CLEARLY scared to death! I wasn't sure what he/she was etc so, I put on a glove when I picked it up. I thought "heyyyy, this is a chameleon..." once I'd established what it was, ibegan looking for identifying information. According to my research,it appears my new friend is indeed a male veiled chameleon (he has the spurs on his back feet, and a very large "veil", and he's colorful!). Since I found this guy @ 830 PM, and I'm in rural SD, there weren't any crickets available. I fed him earthworms, apple, and swiss chard. He ate 2 worms, and 2 dime sized thin slices of apple, and nibbled on a swiss chard leaf. He has a greyish thing sticking out of his butt. I don't think it's an intestinal prolapse, as it is crusty and has white stuff on it. Unfortunately, I'm not prepared for a reptile, so he's hanging out in a dog kennel decked out with branches (indoor kennel). Dad and I will build him an enclosure made with screen tomorrow. Suggestions? Information? I asked all the neighbors if this was their pet, and they all declined. HELP!!!!!

wow what an interesting story, i got a veiled chameleon a few months ago, im sorry but i have very limited knowledge of them and im also new to reptile world, he is the most interesting pet i have ever had, hope it all works out for you.... i do know eating is a good sign tho

The white thing could b a sperm slug mist him with luke warm water make sure there is leaves for him to drink of im on my tablet so I cnt type alot too many typos but othr exprts will chime in:)

Hi and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place!

What a find! Unfortunately it is likely an abandoned pet :( unless there are chameleons native to where you are?

I would like to direct you to jannb's blog for new keepers

I'm not sure what this crusty thing is that you're talking about but it doesn't sound good. If its a male you've got there it could be a hemipinal prolapse or another kind of prolapse. If you plan on keepong him as a pet I think you'll need to see a vet.

Could you post a picture please? The more experienced members can possibly tell you what it could be.

Angie :)

Hi and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place!

What a find! Unfortunately it is likely an abandoned pet :( unless there are chameleons native to where you are?

I would like to direct you to jannb's blog for new keepers

I'm not sure what this crusty thing is that you're talking about but it doesn't sound good. If its a male you've got there it could be a hemipinal prolapse or another kind of prolapse. If you plan on keepong him as a pet I think you'll need to see a vet.

Could you post a picture please? The more experienced members can possibly tell you what it could be.

Angie :)

Well, abandoned or perhaps misplaced/lost. To be fair, it would be a good idea to make a good faith effort to let people know you found a "lost green lizard" or something vauge like that, and then if no one can step forward and correctly identify some characteristics without looking (for instance, male veiled chameleon with such and such features... ), call it your adoption.

But hey, finders keepers too I suppose (Now if I was in your situation, what would I actually do? Hmmmm....).
I just know if LB got out I would really want him back, I would be pretty upset. Of course I would probably freakishly post fliers and bang on peoples doors like a madman.

Last edited:
By the way,
I dont care what anyone says- Veileds are awesome!!

(of course, I have yet to see someone on this forum bash on veileds but still... REPRESENT!!!!)

Well, abandoned or perhaps misplaced/lost. To be fair, it would be a good idea to make a good faith effort to let people know you found a "lost green lizard" or something vauge like that, and then if no one can step forward and correctly identify some characteristics without looking (for instance, male veiled chameleon with such and such features... ), call it your adoption.

But hey, finders keepers too I suppose (Now if I was in your situation, what would I actually do? Hmmmm....).
I just know if LB got out I would really want him back, I would be pretty upset. Of course I would probably freakishly post fliers and bang on peoples doors like a madman.

That's a very good point! Someone could very well have lost him! See it all the time on here :(

Wow! that's a wild story! I cant imagin finding something that exotic in my own yard!!
Oh, and welcome to the forum, you came to the right place for expert advise ;)

Since you have already checked with your neighbors, I would say it's yours!

There are tons of care sheet on the internet, but find one on this board instead.

Looks like you adopted a new friend. You may get attached to him in time and want another one!! LOL

I would give him a nice long warm shower to clean him up and make him feel good.

Best of luck 2 u and your new friend

How cool! And in SD??? Even crazier!

I second the Found Lizard flyers. Post onto craigslist or see if anyone has. Put up flyers within a mile distance.

The gray thing could be many different things. it would help if we had photos. I'm going with sperm plug, just because they tend to be a grayish-yellowish-brownish thing. but without pictures, I couldn't really tell you.

Today, go out and grab crickets and also grab some calcium powder, both with AND without d3. Also grab a multivitamin. Make sure you get him a screen enclosure - the kennel is a fast-thinking temporary enclosure, good for you on thinking on the spot like that!

Get him to the vet, as well, and make sure to bring along some poop so they can do a fecal. if he has been running around like a maniac outside, he has probably ingested something that had parasites. It's best to see if he contracted any so he can be nice and healthy.

For now, keep him in a nice warm environment, spray him with WARM water and, to make a temporary dripper, take an empty bottle of some sort (I love using empty milk jugs after they've been washed out real well) and put a small pinprick in the bottom so the water slowly drips out over the cage. The water dripping will encourage him to drink.

Be careful with the plants you put in the cage, too. Make sure they aren't poisonous to veiled. if you have any silk houseplants, I'd think they'd be best until you can get something from Lowes or Home Depot.

Welcome to a new addiction - you're gunna love them!

How exciting of a find is that, haha? I actually had the opposite of your situation happen to me the other day, luckily I found my cham about an hour later before I really seriously started to freak out! I hope you are able to locate his owner though, he is someones pet after all and was most likely cared for deeply.

If not.... it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders. Lots of delving into the huge pool of collective info found here is going to be key, also some creative thinking will go a long way in saving you money dealing with most of the general equipment involved in keeping reptiles but don't skimp on the important areas: lighting, watering and food mostly but supplements as well.

One thing I learned from keeping reptiles I wish someone had told me before I got into it was how much care you will also have to give your feeder insects as you will want those as clean and nutritionally powerful as possible for they act as vessels for nutrition as well and you want to fill them properly.

You should try and post a pic or two of this thing in his butt that way those with experience can offer their opinions as to what it is, either way it isn't supposed to be there.

My parents live in a trailer court. I went door to door with this dude on my hand (this was before I did research and learnedthey like to chill out and not be held). Everyone I spoke with said "EWE WHAT IS THAT THING...." Something to that affect. I believe someone got him 'cause he was cool lookin', realized they weren't very cheap to take care of, and rather than keep him in a cage and watch him starve, they let him go in the garden, or outside in general. He's been inthe garden for a while I assume because my mom's Mini-doxie has apparently been going for the garden every time she's let outside for the past week! It appears some of the crusty stuff on his butt has come off. It's much smaller. I am in rural South Dakota...there are no vets for him :( We're hopping over to the pet shop today and getting him supplies(screened cage, crickets, plants etc) Wish me LUCK!

My parents live in a trailer court. I went door to door with this dude on my hand (this was before I did research and learnedthey like to chill out and not be held). Everyone I spoke with said "EWE WHAT IS THAT THING...." Something to that affect. I believe someone got him 'cause he was cool lookin', realized they weren't very cheap to take care of, and rather than keep him in a cage and watch him starve, they let him go in the garden, or outside in general. He's been inthe garden for a while I assume because my mom's Mini-doxie has apparently been going for the garden every time she's let outside for the past week! It appears some of the crusty stuff on his butt has come off. It's much smaller. I am in rural South Dakota...there are no vets for him :( We're hopping over to the pet shop today and getting him supplies(screened cage, crickets, plants etc) Wish me LUCK!

Good luck! And good on you for taking him in :)

Here are the pictures of the thing coming from his rectum. Any and all responses will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_12-50-23_613.jpg
    2012-07-28_12-50-23_613.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 193
  • 2012-07-28_12-50-37_1.jpg
    2012-07-28_12-50-37_1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 212
so far, so good!

Ezra is doing awesome! We bought some screen to build him an enclosure. I took him to the local pet store and asked if anyone has reported their lizard missing. She said no. She's somewhat of a lizard expert and said he is indeed fully grown,and quite thin.we got some crickets and vitamin powder. I purchased a pothos and a hibiscus. I purchased a drip system, basking light, and UV light. How'm I doing Lol?

Ezra is doing awesome! We bought some screen to build him an enclosure. I took him to the local pet store and asked if anyone has reported their lizard missing. She said no. She's somewhat of a lizard expert and said he is indeed fully grown,and quite thin.we got some crickets and vitamin powder. I purchased a pothos and a hibiscus. I purchased a drip system, basking light, and UV light. How'm I doing Lol?

Sounds great! What vit powder have you got? They need plain calcium (no D3) at most feedings and a multivit with D3 every 2 weeks. Some people follow other schedules, but I use this as the rule of thumb :)

I've got both powders :) with D3 and w/out. Thanks for that tidbit of info!I didn't know that!! Edit: Oh! And I dust the crickets right before I feed them, right? Do you think since he's so thin and IDK the last time he's had supplementation, I should feed him the d3 stuff first

Last edited:
I've got both powders :) with D3 and w/out. Thanks for that tidbit of info!I didn't know that!! Edit: Oh! And I dust the crickets right before I feed them, right? Do you think since he's so thin and IDK the last time he's had supplementation, I should feed him the d3 stuff first

Yea, I put the crickets in a tupperware box with a pinch of the calcium & give it a shake. They just need to be lightly dusted, I don't think you can o-d them on calcium but you'll end up with it all over the plants overwise lol. You could give him the D3 today, I think.

Great that you've given him a home by the way, I know it's expensive to set them up with the right stuff! :)

I have a pretty awesome daddy who is Fantastic At building things. Without his expertise, I'm quite sure I'd be spending quite a bit more!!!! My family is SO excited forme to bring him home :) We've wanted a reptile for a while. I know these guys aren't exactly a great "starter" pet, however I have lots of experience with other exotics, and I've been reading like CRAZY since I got him. I appreciate the encouragement and the info!!!!!!!

Looks like he has a sperm plug, just give it a slight gentle pull and it should come out. Also, I recommend staying away from earthworms as they can carry flukes (a type of parasite. Other than that looks like everyone is covering all other important aspect of the hobby.

I only fed him the worms because he was SO hungry :( I've since purchased crickets, and began gutloading 3 of them this evening. I didn't know whatelse to do lastnight :( nothing was open so, I improvised!!

Back
Top Bottom