FOUND! veiled cham in east san diego!

i will even come help you out..or steal him...LOL jk..:D..but hey at least im close..if i have some extra feeders you can come pick some up..:D

On the ground! Weird huh. I was walking to the back of my truck when I heard some rustling in the thick leaves on the ground. I looked down to see a bright green/yellow lizard. At first glance I thought it was an iguana or somthing. He tried to bite me so much I had to pick him up by his tail and place him in a 5 gallon bucket. i was in a rural part of San Diego (Jamul) on a private road with only 4 homes on it. The vegitation there is super thick almost like a forest canopy. The area gets real hot in the summer and as low as the 30's in the winter. There was no running streams or creeks any where near.

i will even come help you out..or steal him...LOL jk..:D..but hey at least im close..if i have some extra feeders you can come pick some up..:D

right on! Thanks. once i pick up this new cage tomarow i may need some help setting it up. Whats a feeder?

On the ground! Weird huh. I was walking to the back of my truck when I heard some rustling in the thick leaves on the ground. I looked down to see a bright green/yellow lizard. At first glance I thought it was an iguana or somthing. He tried to bite me so much I had to pick him up by his tail and place him in a 5 gallon bucket. i was in a rural part of San Diego (Jamul) on a private road with only 4 homes on it. The vegitation there is super thick almost like a forest canopy. The area gets real hot in the summer and as low as the 30's in the winter. There was no running streams or creeks any where near.

It was meant to be yours, be warned chameleons are highly addictive and you can get hooked.

Got the new cage setup. Still waiting on one more larger ficus. He seems comfortable. He still hates misting though. As soon as I start misting he runs for cover.

That's pretty common. I liken mine to the wicked witch of the west ("I'm melting!") but keep misting. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to decide to come out.

That's pretty common. I liken mine to the wicked witch of the west ("I'm melting!") but keep misting. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to decide to come out.

hahaha lol...well i have a female that goes into heavy metal mode (violent head shaking)when i start misting, usually have to get her soaked before she start drinking..

I think you are doing a great job! It has been over 2 weeks since you found him. The original owner should have noticed he was missing and been posting in every forum out there trying to locate him. I know I would and flyers would have been up.

After one more week I would consider him mine. 3 weeks equal three strikes- old owner out, you are in. Especially since you have not hidden the fact you found him and have been looking for the owner.

After one more week I would consider him mine. 3 weeks equal three strikes- old owner out, you are in. Especially since you have not hidden the fact you found him and have been looking for the owner.

Well if the owner does call shortly after the 3 weeks, I would still return him. Maybe he has been out of town or something. You never know. ;)

I don't think theres a owner for this chameleon. I think someone may have found a population maybe. That area should be searched for more. The cham looks very healthy and happy. Better then most pet veileds. Goodluck with him!!!

wow he is lookin great!! what did you guys name him? You might want to add more foliage in your cage, maybe a hanging pothos. but other than that it looks awesome!

I agree, he looks great and that's a good enclosure. But you want to get some more foliage in there. Hanging a pothos will give you vines he can climb, leaves he can hide behind and pretend to resemble and humidity that will make him more comfortable.

The kids decided on "Dash" for a name. I have another Ficus that reaches the top of the enclosure but it started looking bad so I stuck it outside for a few days to see if I could save it. The Pothos is a good idea. I think Ill grab one tomarrow. I noticed tonight that sometimes when he is under his basking light he turns almost black. Is that OK? Another thing, this guy can eat! He is eating about 90-100 crickets a week! Is that normal?

They turn dark when basking to absorb more light. So, yes, that's normal.

How big are the crickets? That's a vital component on "how many crickets is normal?"

He might be making up for lost time so over eating a bit.

I don't think theres a owner for this chameleon. I think someone may have found a population maybe. That area should be searched for more. The cham looks very healthy and happy. Better then most pet veileds. Goodluck with him!!!

It very well could be a population because when I went back to ask the home owners on the street about the Cham they said theyve seen a cham befor in the trees. I figure the odds are there are more than one or they just happened to see the same one I found.

Im using Large crikets also.

Search the area at night with a good flashlight. Look high and low. Tops of trees and bases of bushes. If you don't find anything the first night, keep trying. It may take a few trips to locate one or many. Keep us posted if you go hunt.

Back
Top Bottom