Formula for determining age

Skyebound

I know several questions have been asked about determining the age of a cham, but I have to admit I am a bit confused.

Is there an approx. set of measurements according to age? I have seen several mentions of people asking how long to give an approx. age.

When I measure do I need to include tail? If so...straight or coiled? Also do we measure when he is all stretched out or in his basic hang-out stance?

Thanks in advance. ;)

usually measurements are from snout to vent(butt). If you were taking a full measurement the tail should not be coiled. There is real no formula as some just grow faster than others. Post some pics, if you can hold him so we can compare to the size of your hand. Sometimes pics can be decieving if you take the picture of them in the cage. They may look bigger than they really are.

current pic of Verde

Ok, here are Verde's current pics. He is about 4 in. from snout to vent. He is also starting to show more colors.

2012-01-13_14-06-27_107.jpg

2012-01-13_14-06-43_708.jpg

ur little guy is about the size of my own haha!
i was told my guy was 4-5mos old. but it is really hard to tell. Just feed him loads of crickets every day if u want him to grow fast. =)

It really depends. The temperature and amount of food they receive plays a HUGE roll in growth. He could be 4 months or he could be 8 months. (I would also guess around 6 months) How long have you had him and how big was he when you got him?

Is he in a classroom? Chameleons are a very poor choice for a class pet because they stress so easily and cannot be left over the weekend without some serious mods to the caging. They also shouldn't be moved around every weekend either. It's best to keep them home and get a more forgiving animal for a class pet.

Is he in a classroom? Chameleons are a very poor choice for a class pet because they stress so easily and cannot be left over the weekend without some serious mods to the caging. They also shouldn't be moved around every weekend either. It's best to keep them home and get a more forgiving animal for a class pet.

That is good points especially looks as if they are young students, If done properly I don't think it would be a problem though. Veileds are pretty forgiving species as it is.
Little off topic but some what relevant,
Ive had a panther chameleon in my 8th Biology class.It was awesome. Probably one of the main reasons i got into chameleons in the first place and reptiles. I was a student aid. The chameleon seemed to do well and was housed in all glass. We also had about 80 other critters so not your typical 8th grade science class.The teacher was there majority of the time as I went to the school on weekends to help feed and hrs before school opened as well stayed after. Not all were reptiles but a good amount though. Had tokays, caimans,boas,pythons, water dragons to name a few common names. The panther chameleon stuck out in my head and about 11 yrs later I got my first one. The basilisk running down the halls was always fun to watch too. Either way as I said this wasn't your typical classroom and teacher but I learned a great amount and actually enjoyed learning and going to school which is not common.

When you say properly, what do you mean? Leaving a chameleon alone at a school over the weekend would be a bad idea. Even if the cage was set up to attempt to handle all the variables, it could still end up badly. The temps in the room cannot be controlled. Winter temps can get dangerous in some parts of the country.

Ok, let's see...where to begin. The picture in my profile is Verde when I first got him. I have had him since Thanksgiving.

Next..."classroom issues" I am the school librarian and only have three classes a day. He is actually doing super well there. It is quiet most of the day and my students realize that he is a "look don't touch" animal. In addition I have done lots and lots of teaching before he even came into the library about distance from his home, etc. His home is set up on a timer and I have full control over the temps in my library, even over the weekend. The only time he travels is over long breaks and those are few and far between. On weekends I or one other person that lives closer than I do feeds him daily and checks on his home...temps, humidity, etc. I also have an emergency plans in place for inclement weather.

I hope this releaves many of your fears.

Back
Top Bottom