For those who are/have experienced Gular Edema

theres been a few posts lately about cases of Gular Edema. I have been dealing with this issue for a little over a month now with my 14 month old female Veiled. To make a long story short, she started developing the edema swelling during gestation of her first infertile clutch. I didnt know what it was at first, and tossed edema because I knew she wasn't getting high amounts of prEformed Vitamin A. It developed worse and worse to the point she looked like a lion with big skin-fat mane, she also wasnt able to use her tongue, she would miss occaissionally, and she lost all stickyness of it. Her tongue was also very red and swollen :(

Because I focused my priorities mainly on giving her plain calcium during gestation, i fell off guard with a higher vitamin content gutload and supplimentation to balance everything out. She became Hypo-vitaminosis (vitamin A & D defficient). I started by changing my gut load, i also gave her Vet Perscribed Vitamin A&D medicine to give her a boost start. I did the medicine treat ment for a week worth of feeding ( i feed her every other day, after egg laying for a few weeks). I administered a drop of the medicine on a silk worm every other feeding for 3 days of feeding, than I administered another drop on a silkworm every 2 feedings for 4 days of feeding. Vitamins A,E,D & K need to be used in conjunction with a fat soluable vitamin, so i offered her 8 wax worms for yesterdays feedings, and a very noticable improvement was noticed today. 2 half-portion feedings a week will now be used as "fat feeder day".

I have now stopped the medication on my own will, and have decided to let the naturall do the rest. i've been on top of my gut loading like crazy, offering her unlimited water daily, and keeping the enviornment clean.

Kiwi has been able to use her tongue 95% normal again from the care and treatments I've been giving her.
Her edema started fluctuating going from swollen to normal, and has been staying down more permanant lately, except for when she drinks. she will develop a "slight" swollen look but momentarily.. 30 minutes

Here are some pictures I think you guys can appriciate during her process of recovering.

Her Gular Edema a couple weeks ago.

Edema Side by phil.lachance, on Flickr

Edema Front by phil.lachance, on Flickr

Her update today about 4 days after stopping treatments and 1 day after a wax worm feast.

curededema1 by phil.lachance, on Flickr

curededema2 by phil.lachance, on Flickr

edemaclearside by phil.lachance, on Flickr

The worst of the swollen-look after drinking. goes down in about 30 minutes. used to be alot worse

afterdrinking2 by phil.lachance, on Flickr

afterdrinking1 by phil.lachance, on Flickr

I really appriciate her healed tongue aswell!

healedtounge by phil.lachance, on Flickr

I've gone through hell and back with Kiwi on her first clutch, this has been the most stressfull time yet keeping reptiles, and I honestly take pride on what i've been able to do for her. Of course I couldnt have even started without this forum and I want to give a deep public thank you too Kinyonga and SandraChameleon for their help and support.

Gular Edema, from what I now see, is a pretty common misshap with gravid females, but it is cureable. I advise you guys to find good vets and get some blood tests done, see what you need to adjust what you give your chameleon! i also really hope this thread helps those interested and experienced(ing) this case. This info is based on my OWN personall experiences and what I've done that is working. Be sure to consult an exotic vet before administering any form of medical vitamin A & D suppliments or drugs.

I want to thank you again for all your information & helpful responses to my thread on gular edema. I will use your gut load like a bible! I think it's great that you put this thread out there for others to read as well & the pictures say a thousand words. Sooo nice to see how much better your lil girl is looking. Great job!!! :D

I want to thank you again for all your information & helpful responses to my thread on gular edema. I will use your gut load like a bible! I think it's great that you put this thread out there for others to read as well & the pictures say a thousand words. Sooo nice to see how much better your lil girl is looking. Great job!!! :D

Aint she a sexeh girl? lol you are so welcome i could share with you all i could today, and best of luck with your little one! i know she'll get better

Back
Top Bottom