For all you Louisianan chammers

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Totally not Cham related, so please ignore if you don’t care about cooking.

My wife and I do theme based cooking weeks all winter (I plough snow, so I only work ~ 4 times a month, and love to advance my culinary skills). Well, we decided to do a creole themed week in December, and I’d love recipe ideas. My wife has just recently converted back to eating meat, and is still a bit apprehensive about anything but beef and chicken, but she’s willing to try (@Brodybreaux25, I fully expect some input here!). Any recipes will be welcome!

I think I got it: a fat plus a starch—which ones depends on the dish. A meat dish appears to call for a roux whose fat comes from beef drippings, etc.

Lol, no. No offense but I can see this is going to take awhile and I’ve got a ton of builds to finish in my shop.

I’ll get back to you this evening.

A roux is butter and flour in equal parts. You need to cook it, and the more you cook it the darker it will be. Your recipe should tell you what color of roux you need. Whisk it with a wire whisk to ensure that it's smooth. It will start to smell "nutty" the darker it gets, and remember if you are making this ahead of time it will carry over cooking slightly and get a bit darker than you may intend. I was a chef for 13 years, feel free to shoot me any culinary questions you may have!

A roux is butter and flour in equal parts.
Respectfully, you might call that a "roux" but its defiantly not a Cajun roux. Not saying yours is wrong but I am saying its not what he's asking for and yes it does make a difference.

A Cajun roux is made with oil and flower. 1cup olive oil + 3/4cup flour. You need a heavy cast iron pot, no Magnalites. Heat oil and CI pot over lo/medium heat(critical). SLOWLY stir in the flower with a seasoned wooden spoon with a flat tip. It MUST be a spoon, a whisk will not work and you will ruin your roux. You MUST stir the roux at least every 30secs until its dark enough to suit your taste. You can burn a roux quickly by not stirring frequently. A roux done properly will take at least 30min+, it cant be rushed. But if your in a bind you can add a few drops of browning sauce(Kitchen Bouquet) to help it along but I don't recommend it.

When your happy with the darkness you've got to shock(cool) the roux or it will continue to cook and burn. I usually do this by turning the fire off(this is why you need a CI pot) and tossing in all your seasonings like onion, bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and whatever meats your using. If using seafood, do not add it now, they should only be added when the entire dish is ready. Continuously stir the mix until the meats have browned.

Once your seasonings and meat have browned in the roux, it should be significantly cooler. This is where you add your water, keep in mind that if your roux isn't cool enough your going to get some serious popping so start pouring VERY slowly.

Might sound a bit overwhelming at first but like anything else, you'll get it soon.

Back
Top Bottom