food avalibility problems

I've been looking in to finding more food options for my Jackson's. i want to order worms from online but due to my location they cannot ship here. Her two main staples are roaches and crickets. I found that various reptile companies sell canned food. what is your guy's experience with these products?

You might consider having hornworm or silkworm eggs and chow shipped to you and then raising them yourself. Silks can be shipped with a cold pack to keep them fresh.

Not sure if the issue is getting the bugs shipped to you, or being allowed to have them where you are. But if it's just a shipping issue, I joined some reptile social media groups for my city and people will post extra bugs they have for sale. I've bought hornworms, dubia roaches, etc. this way. Also local reptile shops will usually carry a good variety of feeders.

I live in Hawaii and as many of you probably know everything here was introduced. The only things native here are a hand ful of trees (most palms were introduced) and some birds, most of which are endangered. The government is very picky about what is allowed here. God knows what their thoughts on silk and hornworms are. Currently i'm trying to figure ou their laws, but just click the link below to see how seriously they take this type of stuff.
Click here to see their thoughts on Jackson's

You could try trapping bugs with a light trap at night. Identifying your catch might be the biggest challenge.

Yeah, in the past i've found grass hoppers and snails, but other than that I don't think theres anything else that they have here for jackson's to eat, the only worm i can buy here is meal worms but i'm looking to try soft-bodied worms.

Some species but many are poisonous depending on what they eat and some have irritating hairs. Blue bottle fly larva (maggots) might be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom