fogging with a screen cage.

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a 30x18x36 cage for my male panther and I'm currently running a fogger in it and humidity levels are not going up by much and theres not fog building up in the cage. It even has a glass door but everything else is screen.

Yesterday I fogged my female veiled's 24x18x36 glass cage and fog was dense inside the whole cage within minutes.

its been on for 20 mins and humidity levels are barely cracking 60%.

I know a lot of you have screen cages and a lot of you fog so i'm sure i'm not the only one with this issue

I put shower curtain around 2 sides of my screen cage to help hold in humidity without restricting too much air flow. Also, did you check the humidity level in multiple locations?

I put shower curtain around 2 sides of my screen cage to help hold in humidity without restricting too much air flow. Also, did you check the humidity level in multiple locations?
thats good idea! unfortunately i cant do it due to fire risks...(outlet nearby, electrical stuff nearby...) no the humidity gauge is only by the basking spot but its still getting quite a bit of fog

Last edited:
When I was figuring out humidity levels in my cham's cage, I verified the humidity with a second probe just to be sure one wasn't faulty. You could always move the probe from your other cham's cage over temporarily to make sure they both give the same reading.

It's natural that a mostly glass enclosure will hold humidity better than an all screen enclosure, so it's unsurprising that one fogs better than the other. Sometimes I wish that the screen cages were a little more "modular" and had glass panels available to swap out with the screen ones. A glass panel would be so much prettier than a cheap shower curtain lol.

When I was figuring out humidity levels in my cham's cage, I verified the humidity with a second probe just to be sure one wasn't faulty. You could always move the probe from your other cham's cage over temporarily to make sure they both give the same reading.

It's natural that a mostly glass enclosure will hold humidity better than an all screen enclosure, so it's unsurprising that one fogs better than the other. Sometimes I wish that the screen cages were a little more "modular" and had glass panels available to swap out with the screen ones. A glass panel would be so much prettier than a cheap shower curtain lol.
Do you have screen and glass cages?

Is your female cage all glass? If so, that makes sense why her cage fogged up and the males screen cage didn't

Is your female cage all glass? If so, that makes sense why her cage fogged up and the males screen cage didn't
yeah last night her cage was literally completely fogged up - you couldnt see anything in like minutes.Now theres a tiny bit at the bottom but still only 60%

Also could be your hydrometer, some can be quite inaccurate. You could maybe try an auto mister mixed with the fogger as well. But like the others said if you use a curtain/plastic wrap on one or two sides of the cage it will def help.

Also could be your hydrometer, some can be quite inaccurate. You could maybe try an auto mister mixed with the fogger as well. But like the others said if you use a curtain/plastic wrap on one or two sides of the cage it will def help.
No its not faulty we have tested it many times in many different situations

Beman has hybrid enclosures with solid sides. But I'll let her explain more when she sees her being tagged on this thread.

I have open enclosures, and can get my humidity above 90% but yes there are caveats.
I live in Oregon, so my nights naturally cool, and average humidity inside the house is 30%-40%.

Remember temperature has a lot to do with humidity. Humidity will go up as temps go down.

From my starting point,
Fogging alone does not get me there. I usually have to mist as well.

My routine will usually consist of a 20 sec mist right before foggers go on. Depending I then may give 10 to 15 second mists spread throughout the fogging cycle.
It kicks on at midnight and runs till 4 or 5 am.

It does require a misting system with timers.

On cold winter days, if I run it all right it will actually create a suspended cloud. But all conditions have to be just right, but it is still cool to watch form.

Back
Top Bottom