Foggers, misters and draining system

Sailouchai

Hey Im about to get my first charmeleon but I wanted to make sure that I have a safe terrarium before getting it, But Im having trouble with the mister because it pours water everywhere so, I wanted to now If I could get like a bucket that is exactly the size of terrarium and put the real plants on it with dirt so the water can just drip on it but Im still unsure if that will bring any trouble later on, with bugs or bacteria or if its safe to just let water fall on the dirt and if the mister is necessary when I live in florida with a high humidity % and with a fogger working inside of the terrarium, can I just get rid of the misting system and do it by hand once in the morning and once before nighttime (also having a dripper functioning) and quick question if I have to keep the mister where can I buy background panels? Ive only found small ones I have a 36x18x36

So you have options.... But no dirt in the bottom without it being totally bioactive with Clean up crew. Even then drain pan has to be set up correctly.
What type of misting system did you get? It should not pour water everywhere. You will need a drainage pan though. PVC sheets at home depot come in 4x8 ft sheets. You can get a thin one and cut the sizes you need with a razor blade. attach to the outside of the cage with 1/4 inch stainless steel self tapping screws.
That is if you want solid walls. You can also get the duct window film for the side and back to help hold the overspray. Since you are in FL I would not do more then 2 panels and aim your mister that way. You will want the air flow.

This is an excellent husbandry program. It will explain a lot https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

So you have options.... But no dirt in the bottom without it being totally bioactive with Clean up crew. Even then drain pan has to be set up correctly.
What type of misting system did you get? It should not pour water everywhere. You will need a drainage pan though. PVC sheets at home depot come in 4x8 ft sheets. You can get a thin one and cut the sizes you need with a razor blade. attach to the outside of the cage with 1/4 inch stainless steel self tapping screws.
That is if you want solid walls. You can also get the duct window film for the side and back to help hold the overspray. Since you are in FL I would not do more then 2 panels and aim your mister that way. You will want the air flow.

This is an excellent husbandry program. It will explain a lot https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I got the mistking starter, But Im still wondering If I need it to get humidity up, isnt it bad if the humidity is too high? (I want to put the fogger too looks nice) and well what about pot plants thats fine right? Im struggling to find a way to put a drainage pan tbh

DragonStrand sells drainage pans for 36x18x36 Exo Terras. Your fogger should only be used at night if you can get your temps at or below 65*F. Is it a cool mist fogger?

I got the mistking starter, But Im still wondering If I need it to get humidity up, isnt it bad if the humidity is too high? (I want to put the fogger too looks nice) and well what about pot plants thats fine right? Im struggling to find a way to put a drainage pan tbh
What species are you getting? Temperatures and humidity is totally dependent on that. Each one has specific husbandry that it requires.

You may need to think outside the box for drainage. you have the wider cage so the replacement dog crate plastic pans can be used.
Take a look at this. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-exo-terra-large-x-tall-cage-build/

DragonStrand sells drainage pans for 36x18x36 Exo Terras. Your fogger should only be used at night if you can get your temps at or below 65*F. Is it a cool mist fogger?
Unfortunately he does not make them for this size only the standard sized cages or his Large Atrium which would be huge for this one.

My house at night is usualy around 68*F and im not quite sure its the zoo med fogger

Being my first question here: Do I understand correctly that a drainage tray may have to/will be required to be emptied every day? I am in phase 0.5 of planning/consider buying a Panther

Being my first question here: Do I understand correctly that a drainage tray may have to/will be required to be emptied every day? I am in phase 0.5 of planning/consider buying a Panther
Yes and no. You can modify a drainage tray with a drain. Either placed in the bottom (better as all sitting water is pulled out) or in the side but then you have sitting water. OR get a wet vac and wet vac every other day. It all depends on your cage set up. I have a dragon strand cage with a drip easy tray which came with my DS cage. Which means I have a screen between the cage where my cham is and the actual drip tray. I love this one just because my cham is never able to walk through any water. I wet vac mine every other day because I can not install a drain through the bottom due to the table it sits on. This site will help you a lot and then ask any questions you have in the forum https://chameleonacademy.com/

That link is so useful omg im totally doing a lot of things that are there thank you
Perfect so I love that link because it is exactly how he set up the cage you have. His entire site is wonderful. See this link for Panther husbandry specifics https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

And as mentioned already foggers are ONLY used at night when temps are well below 67 degrees. If you can not get temps that low or lower then they should not be used at all.

The panther chameleon and thank you im still trying to figure out something for the drainage
There are a lot of ideas in the drainage thread.

Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

The simplest is often an aftermarket drain pan or washing machine drain pan.

You can either empty it everyday, or have it drain into a bucket beneath your enclosure and empty that periodically. I go through 7 gallons of distilled water per week (double-wide enclosure) but due to careful balancing/planning, my drain bucket only gets half full once per month when I empty it (five gallons all at once gets heavy and tends to slosh).

See link above.

Back
Top Bottom