Fogger?

Reptar313

Established Member
Ever since I added the fogger reptar likes to sleep with his front feet on the screen. Were as before the fogger he slept in the same spot nicely on a vine. I also did switch his schedule from 9 to 9 to 8 to 8. Would it be safe to assume he doesn’t like the night time fog? Or adjusting to the light schedule?

Last edited:
It's actually not good practice to use any sort of misting or fogging at night. You need a period that allows everything to dry out. Night time is a perfect time for that. If you have no long periods of time that will let things dry out then you are risking mold and mildew in your cage.

It's actually not good practice to use any sort of misting or fogging at night. You need a period that allows everything to dry out. Night time is a perfect time for that. If you have no long periods of time that will let things dry out then you are risking mold and mildew in your cage.
Isn't that the other way around where you want high humidity nights and allow it to dry out during the day? What hydration schedule has the nighttime as a dry-out period?

Ever since I added the fogger reptar likes to sleep with his front feet on the screen. Were as before the fogger he slept in the same spot nicely on a vine. I also did switch his schedule from 9 to 9 to 8 to 8. Would it be safe to assume he doesn’t like the night time fog? Or adjusting to the light schedule?
Whether a chameleon wants to sit in the fog has a lot to do with how strong the fog is coming out and how much he needs the humidity raised. Could you post a picture of the set-up? Turnt he fogger on during the day and some how indicate where he usually sleeps and what he is doing now. It may be a case of easing off the direction or placement of your fogger. Often an ideal situation is where the fog cascades through a plant and the sleeping branches are in the leaves of the plant. That way it isn't blasting them. We are trying to create a foggy night, but a fog stream pointed directly at the chameleon at close range becomes a draft.

Isn't that the other way around where you want high humidity nights and allow it to dry out during the day?

Things arent going to dry out during the day if you are misting the cage with long duration soaks for the chameleon to drink. The cham isnt gonna drink at night when he's sleeping, so you HAVE to mist during the day. You can have a long stretch at night with no mist at all, providing your humidity is still kept optimum of course. You shouldnt soak it at night. Because you are (or should be) soaking it here and there throughout the day.

Things arent going to dry out during the day if you are misting the cage with long duration soaks for the chameleon to drink. The cham isnt gonna drink at night when he's sleeping, so you HAVE to mist during the day. You can have a long stretch at night with no mist at all, providing your humidity is still kept optimum of course. You shouldnt soak it at night. Because you are (or should be) soaking it here and there throughout the day.
No it’s the opposite , things aren’t going to dry out during the night . Fans lights etc. going during the day will help to dry the environment out . Humidity rises needed at night lower during daytime you want to mist at lights on and lights off not for long duration‘s and let the cage dry out during the day fogging at night . My chameleons don’t drink humidity level with Fogging gets brought up to 90% at night . on occasion they will drink on the afternoon watering .

What time does your fogger come on ? My chameleons don’t like the look of the fog but they sleep in their same spot because my system doesn’t kick on until 11 at night . If they’re awake when the fogger kicks on they might try to avoid it .

Whether a chameleon wants to sit in the fog has a lot to do with how strong the fog is coming out and how much he needs the humidity raised. Could you post a picture of the set-up? Turnt he fogger on during the day and some how indicate where he usually sleeps and what he is doing now. It may be a case of easing off the direction or placement of your fogger. Often an ideal situation is where the fog cascades through a plant and the sleeping branches are in the leaves of the plant. That way it isn't blasting them. We are trying to create a foggy night, but a fog stream pointed directly at the chameleon at close range becomes a draft.
He usually sleeps in the back right corner down a foot. Lately he’s in the same area but on the screen. Sorry for the delay thought I had got it. I was start the fogging early in the night before he went to bed switched to midnight to 7 am and he started sleeping on his normal spot again. Now he’s doing the screen sleeping again. I’m going to try Turing in down some again humidity at night is about 89%

Attachments

• B96ED3F0-769E-4254-AF44-8C11AED9517E.jpeg
    B96ED3F0-769E-4254-AF44-8C11AED9517E.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 32
I usually fog between 11 and 4 that’s when they’re totally asleep , to be honest I think that’s your issue . Mine Wont sleep every night in the same spot but the majority of the time .. and the fog freaks him out .

He usually sleeps in the back right corner down a foot. Lately he’s in the same area but on the screen. Sorry for the delay thought I had got it. I was start the fogging early in the night before he went to bed switched to midnight to 7 am and he started sleeping on his normal spot again. Now he’s doing the screen sleeping again. I’m going to try Turing in down some again humidity at night is about 89%
Having any sort of humidity control in a screen cage will be difficult. Your humidity will be high in the direct fog stream, but with dissipate quickly. To get humidity control in the cage you have you can put window insulation film over the sides, back, and front main door. That will allow your fog to stay in a little more, spread out, and you can raise the humidity of the environment as a whole. You may even have to block off much of the flip up service door. But you do want some screen at the bottom front so cool air can come in, heat up, and rise to give you your airflow. Being directly in the fog stream can be a draft and uncomfortable for a chameleon. Having a general high humidity is the goal. Here is a video on how you can turn your screen cage into a hybrid cage for under $10.

Here is a link to the window shrink film
Window shrink film

It's actually not good practice to use any sort of misting or fogging at night.
We have very different approaches to chameleon hydration. Which is fine if your chameleon is sufficiently hydrated. But I would be cautious about saying that the approach, used by many of the most progressive breeders, is not good practice. Having different approaches is one thing. You can absolutely reject newer ideas. But, if you do, then at least take the time to understand them and why they work. We have a group of people going even further than I do and are hydrating their chameleons completely by fogging at night. This is beyond what I, personally, feel comfortable advising, but I would be stunting my growth not to completely understand it and see how the principles discovered there could enhance my husbandry.

Having any sort of humidity control in a screen cage will be difficult. Your humidity will be high in the direct fog stream, but with dissipate quickly. To get humidity control in the cage you have you can put window insulation film over the sides, back, and front main door. That will allow your fog to stay in a little more, spread out, and you can raise the humidity of the environment as a whole. You may even have to block off much of the flip up service door. But you do want some screen at the bottom front so cool air can come in, heat up, and rise to give you your airflow. Being directly in the fog stream can be a draft and uncomfortable for a chameleon. Having a general high humidity is the goal. Here is a video on how you can turn your screen cage into a hybrid cage for under $10.

Here is a link to the window shrink film
Window shrink film

I’m assuming he wants to get away from the fog by sleeping on the screen? Wouldn’t adding all that make it worse for him?

I’m assuming he wants to get away from the fog by sleeping on the screen? Wouldn’t adding all that make it worse for him?
it depends on what he is really getting away from. He may be trying to get away from the stream of fog. It is less likely that he doesn't like a high humidity environment. And this would be the trick - figuring out what exactly is driving him to the screen. It is a good idea for us to separate the what from the how - meaning the end result may be desirable, but our method of delivering that may be what needs changing. Just like misting is a wonderful way of drinking, but if you start spraying a warm chameleon with cool mist they will react with great displeasure. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't use a mister. It just means we should use the tool in a way that doesn't annoy them. That is a long way of saying that it may be the stream itself that is bothering him. Of course, I am just brainstorming because I am not observing his behaviors and reactions first hand.

it depends on what he is really getting away from. He may be trying to get away from the stream of fog. It is less likely that he doesn't like a high humidity environment. And this would be the trick - figuring out what exactly is driving him to the screen. It is a good idea for us to separate the what from the how - meaning the end result may be desirable, but our method of delivering that may be what needs changing. Just like misting is a wonderful way of drinking, but if you start spraying a warm chameleon with cool mist they will react with great displeasure. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't use a mister. It just means we should use the tool in a way that doesn't annoy them. That is a long way of saying that it may be the stream itself that is bothering him. Of course, I am just brainstorming because I am not observing his behaviors and reactions first hand.
Anything I can do to help you more understand what’s going on would like to get it figured out. The fog stream to me is a gentle stream that is spread out throughout the cage I have the knob about half way turned up

Back
Top Bottom