Fogger for chameleon?

Wow 90% after 11 mos or before? It would make sense if it was before 11 mos same as most hatchlings-sea turtles etc falling prey to the overwhelming abundance of predators ..Also would explain the large clutches they throw at the predators. But a 90% death rate after 11 mos seems off.. especially seeing as how they aren't fully sexually mature-The males anyway. What is killing them in the wild after 11 mos? I know there are monitor lizards there and hawks but is there something else? Humans...
Veileds are sexually mature at 4-6 months. What kills them all off is the dry season. The leaves fall off the trees, the food disappears, and water becomes scarce. The complete lifecycle, as I understand it, is:

Babiea are born right at the end of the dry season, which lasted approx six months. As the wet season gets into full swing, they grow like mad, consuming anything and everything. (We see vestiges of this behaviour in captivity, as veileds are by far the fastest growing and most likely to become obese of many if not all of the species commonly kept in captivity). By 4 -5 months, they are sexually mature and they mate. After an approximately one month of gestation, the female lays her eggs just before the onslaught of the dry season—which typically sees a 90% decline in the population. The eggs incubate for six months, and emerge with the start of the wet season.

Again, I am not a scientist, nor have I witnessed this first hand. And I should’ve been more tentative in my earlier post, given that my sole source for this information was a discussion between Petr Necas and Bill Strand on the chameleon breeder podcast. One source does not a fact make. But given the source and the intuitive nature of the explanation, my intuitions go in that direction. But neither does intuition = fact. So, while I’m inclined to accept this account, I stand equally ready to revise my position in the wake of solid contravening evidence.

Veileds are sexually mature at 4-6 months. What kills them all off is the dry season. The leaves fall off the trees, the food disappears, and water becomes scarce. The complete lifecycle, as I understand it, is:

Babiea are born right at the end of the dry season, which lasted approx six months. As the wet season gets into full swing, they grow like mad, consuming anything and everything. (We see vestiges of this behaviour in captivity, as veileds are by far the fastest growing and most likely to become obese of many if not all of the species commonly kept in captivity). By 4 -5 months, they are sexually mature and they mate. After an approximately one month of gestation, the female lays her eggs just before the onslaught of the dry season—which typically sees a 90% decline in the population. The eggs incubate for six months, and emerge with the start of the wet season.

Again, I am not a scientist, nor have I witnessed this first hand. And I should’ve been more tentative in my earlier post, given that my sole source for this information was a discussion between Petr Necas and Bill Strand on the chameleon breeder podcast. One source does not a fact make. But given the source and the intuitive nature of the explanation, my intuitions go in that direction. But neither does intuition = fact. So, while I’m inclined to accept this account, I stand equally ready to revise my position in the wake of solid contravening evidence.
That brings new light to my view of the wild Chamaeleo calyptratus seems they are lucky to be in existence putting all of thier eggs in one basket every year

It is probably a matter of degree...the average indoor human house is pretty dry and the typical setup dries out fast under focused heat lights. They wouldn't need a lot of fogging every day; nothing like a jackson's for example, but a higher humidity cycle in the morning or late afternoon seems to suit them (in my experience anyway).

From what I've read the regions of Yemen where veileds are found isn't true desert. They are more common in thickly brushy coastal river valleys that get soaked with fog off the ocean on a regular basis.
This has been the most clear answer to that problem at least for me. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom