Flys?

Osct0301

So I'm just a kid and I enjoy chameleons and I bought one of my own, his names Sancho, he's a baby veiled I don't know the exact age but I believe 2-4 months, I've bought him a lamp a hand mister and the only problem is food and the easier place to get it is my back porch, my question is wether it's good to leave him on my screen porch and catch undusted houseflies, horseflies and occasionally a grasshopper, I've seen him eat grasshoppers bigger than his body and a housefly he wolfed down, and usually I don't have to feed him for a day or so afterwards, but I do get afraid this isn't the right way I should be feeding him, even though he seems to like hunting for flies and catching them, but is feeding him them good? I do live right next to a pasture so I figure they get nutrients from the cows and such

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 95
Hello!
I'm surprised you haven't received a response yet. Here is a link to the Veiled care sheet - https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/. Read it, and everything else you can find, on your new baby. Good preparation in the beginning will save you lots of problems later on.

Responding directly to your question about outside insects, for the most part it is not recommended. Your biggest concern with wild caught insects will be the introduction of pesticides and parasites to your chammy. It is usually suggested to purchase your feeders from a reputable source, or breed your own. This isn't always true for every environment, so you will just want to be cautions and watch your chammy close if you do feed from your local insect population.

Hope this helps!

Sorry we missed this one, Osct0301. Usually the folks here are very responsive.

I think it's going to be easier on you to have a supply of insects for him and not have to rely on catching wild insects that are the right size. Not sure where you are located, but in the winter, wild insects might not even be possible. The care sheet DrtyRdr linked to will give you the best place to start on diet and other topics on how best to keep your little guy healthy and happy. Crickets are good to start with, and he will also need other bugs like silkworms, hornworms, calciworms, and others.

Wild insects can work as part of a regular diet for a stronger/older cham. Parasites and toxins are a concern, and for a baby, I would be extra cautious about what he ate. Wild flies especially eat all sorts of foul stuff and are covered with fecal bacteria. Chams can be delicate, especially as babies, and you will want to start having his droppings checked for parasites every 6 months (or more often if you feed wild insects). Parasites can be "silent killers"; by the time you realize something is wrong, your cham can be very sick.

The care sheet should be your bible from here on out. Two additional things to read about on the care sheet is UV lighting and supplements. He will need both of those to stay healthy, in addition to good food and lots of water.

Sancho is adorable (I love the name!). Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions. Everyone on the forum is here to help you :D

Well I live in Florida and there's a constant supply of flys, it's a big fishing state worms and bugs aren't a problem but he doesn't seem to eat anything but flies and grasshoppers I tried mealworms and he walk right over them he catches them easy though at least six or seven flies on his own, but he is still growing and I live in central Florida so in th country and it's humid and such, what I do is put him on my screen porch for a good hour and he catches most of the fruit flys and house flies, and ill be keeping this link on speed dial lol, thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom