Flowering Vines

kgallego

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fast growing, flowering vine that can handle the wet conditions of my vivarium? The only vine I can get to live is pothos. I've tried a few outdoor vines bought at garden centers, which have all died. I've tried vanillia planifolia (vanilla vine) orchids, which have all died. I've also tried Thunbergia (black eyed susan vines), which grow about 6" tall from seed, then die.

My vivarium conditions are this:

48"L x 24"W x 48"T - Glass front, Top and sides aluminum screen
Built in 12" deep planter box on bottom
4 x 6500k grow lights distributed accross the top
Mistking mist system that sprays for 1 minute, 8 times per day - Enough to wet leaves and a few drops to the soil
Ultrasonic humidifier that runs for 3 hrs/day
Temperature 68 deg F at soil level, 80 deg F at top near lights

Soil is generally wet, but not soaked well drained. Soil consists of miracle grow organic potting soil (50%), Beach Sand (10%), Vermiculite (20%), and Perlite (20%).

I've heard of several people using Jasmine in their cages since the flowers are edible and it will vine out around the cage. I haven't personally used it though so I'm not sure how well it would do in your cage but I'm guessing it would do well with all the plant lights you have.

I've heard of several people using Jasmine in their cages since the flowers are edible and it will vine out around the cage. I haven't personally used it though so I'm not sure how well it would do in your cage but I'm guessing it would do well with all the plant lights you have.

star jasmine, to be specific, i think the other forms of jasmine (different genus) have a mild toxicity/irritant

Yeah, I was just reading up on that. The Carolina Jasmine is beautiful with those yellow flowers, but apparently they'll drop you dead if you eat it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom