Florida anoles

firedude

Well, I walked outside today and saw about 20 baby anoles scatter from my front door.....I caught a few and put them in the cage with my big Nosy Be. At first he didnt even look at them, then he went hunting and ate every one! He really liked them!

Yeah, I live in florida too and would not even think about feeding them to mine. He accidentally ate one about two weeks ago. It is suggested that I get a fecal done in about 6 weeks now to test for parasites. there are too many other insect feeders available in my opinion. Again, just my opinion, not too mention they are too cute to feed!

anoles

Before everyone freaks out....I'm bringing a fecal sample this weekend to Repticon for the Dr to look at. I wont do it again....just wanted to see if he'd eat them. They were only an inch long...maybe

I was told that the parasites won't even show up that quickly and they can shed eggs or something so you have to wait about 2 months and then do it all over again. You may test clean now, but in a few months be full of parasites. My husband and I are going to visit my son at UCF in Orlando on Saturday. Ii am thinking of going to the show also.

I have seen a picture dealing with the pollutant chain in the ocean. Basically it showed that most organisms have the same level of chance to get (or have a certain amount already) pollutants (as a starting point), but as the creatures get bigger they eat the smaller and raise the chance of having higher pollution because they ate the pollutants in the smaller creatures.

This can be applied to land creatures and parasites as well. As the food chain rises, the predators are risking being infected with parasites way more. Anoles eat smaller bugs that eat dirt and smaller bugs that could contain parasites. Through this principle, the larger the predator, the higher the chance of infestation. Basically, where a WC cricket might have a 1:1000 chance of getting infected, a lizard that eats wild crickets all day might have a 1:100 chance or even higher.

Plus the bones and fat might be bad for your chameleon's diet since it probably has already been supplemented with other food items, and anoles are a pretty big food item.

I personally feed my chameleon wc bugs, but not many, I know just one could cause parasites, but I feel a herbivore bug has a lower chance that a carnivore. If you continue to feed your cham anoles I would be careful.

feeding

I'm not going to feed them any more anoles... It was just a test. I have feed him some WC roaches, grasshoppers, and some other things. I just like to change his selection every once in a while.

I have seen a picture dealing with the pollutant chain in the ocean. Basically it showed that most organisms have the same level of chance to get (or have a certain amount already) pollutants (as a starting point), but as the creatures get bigger they eat the smaller and raise the chance of having higher pollution because they ate the pollutants in the smaller creatures.

This can be applied to land creatures and parasites as well. As the food chain rises, the predators are risking being infected with parasites way more. Anoles eat smaller bugs that eat dirt and smaller bugs that could contain parasites. Through this principle, the larger the predator, the higher the chance of infestation. Basically, where a WC cricket might have a 1:1000 chance of getting infected, a lizard that eats wild crickets all day might have a 1:100 chance or even higher.

Plus the bones and fat might be bad for your chameleon's diet since it probably has already been supplemented with other food items, and anoles are a pretty big food item.

I personally feed my chameleon wc bugs, but not many, I know just one could cause parasites, but I feel a herbivore bug has a lower chance that a carnivore. If you continue to feed your cham anoles I would be careful.

Grasshopper are loaded with parasites.

As are snails! And anyother bug that touches the ground has the potential to carry nasty parasites (for you and your lizards!)

I'm not going to feed them any more anoles... It was just a test. I have feed him some WC roaches, grasshoppers, and some other things. I just like to change his selection every once in a while.

They are fine every once in a while. Chams get Parasites from the food they eat, Its not a big deal like alot of people think. Get a fecal done 2-3 times a year. The benifits from feeding wild bugs and lizards far out weighs the risk.
One of my parsons had pinworms $9.00 for a fecal $13.00 for the meds

Wow, your vet is very inexpensive. Fecals at any vets around me are $30+ and they overprice meds. And sometimes they try to give you the meds that have been shown to cause very bad side effects that can bee avoided simply by just using a different drug.

They are fine every once in a while. Chams get Parasites from the food they eat, Its not a big deal like alot of people think. Get a fecal done 2-3 times a year. The benifits from feeding wild bugs and lizards far out weighs the risk.

Completely agreed.

Grasshopper are loaded with parasites.
As are snails! And anyother bug that touches the ground has the potential to carry nasty parasites (for you and your lizards!)

That's what I'm trying to get at. Anoles eat bugs like grasshoppers and snails. So chances of an anole being infected is drastically greater.

And I'm not trying to say don't feed your cham anything WC, but just do it wisely.

That's what I'm trying to get at. Anoles eat bugs like grasshoppers and snails. So chances of an anole being infected is drastically greater.

And I'm not trying to say don't feed your cham anything WC, but just do it wisely.

I see no difference between feeding Anoles and grasshoppers as far as parasites are concerned.

dig a hole?

So out of everyone on this forum...i'm the first one to feed my Cham a wild caught anything, and I should dig a hole now? Come on....Chams eat anything and everything in the wild and they manage! People here have fed there Chams CB everything, cricks,worms,flys....etc..and Chams still die, for whatever reason. In total,I think I've fed him the WC couple anoles, 1 roach, 1 little grasshopper.....if he can't handle that then I'll get into raising butterflies.

If you are considering feeding him anoles in the future, perhaps try and order them from LLLreptile.com. They sell feeder house geckos and anoles. Might be slightly safer then plucking them outside your house. I've fed my cham house flies and she has had no issues from that and the last one she ate was in August.

I've got to agree with Todnedo here.

Sure you need to keep on top of your Chams health and have a few fecals and a checkup each year is called for. But why have we become so overbearing on keeping Chams so sterile these days? I'm not saying to do it regularly or feed them exclusively wild caught prey. Everything is so sterile these days- enviroment, lighting, water, feeders.

How in the world do these animals ever survive in the wild? For granted their life spans may be a little shorter in the wild, but I also bet the animals have stronger immunity systems and are generally in better health.

Back
Top Bottom