flies?

Spunky

Spunky seems to prefer flies to crickets! i was hand feeding her a cricket when a dumb fly landed on my hand and got gobbled up! Then 2 more silly flies came by and she snatched them too! I'm assuming flies are ok for her diet?

well i have about 5 crickets in eric's tank and he wont touch them, think it is for company lol, he loves the meal worms though is that a healthy diet for him to feed on worms all the time? not the wax worms as i know they are fatty, i am going to try a couple of locust, first of all im having my feed though lol

Spunky seems to not eat the crickets as long as I'm watching. She'll just keep one eye on me and one on the cricket and when I look away she snatches it up. Silly girl! I know people say caught critters aren't good to feed chams, because they worry about pesticides and such. But, I live out in BFE on a 50 acre farm and there are no pesticides anywhere near here, so ... I'm wondering if house flies and moths would be a-ok to feed her. She really seems to enjoy them as she wastes no time snatching em up, but the crickets and worms seem to just sit around her home forever.:)

haha yeah when i first fed him he only ate whe i wasnt looking, his tongue is huge never seen anything like it, the worms he wolfs down he loves them, i am trying the locust now so hopefully he will eat them as well, 50 acre farm eh she could live on that :D

lol yeah, she loves sitting in the window watching the dogs, horses and cows pass by. when she snatched the fly off my hand i was all OMG!! lol but i didn't even feel her weird tongue ^_^

Wc bugs are wonderful alternatives to store bought feeders. You are in the perfect situation so that you can catch some for your veiled. I feed wc bugs and so do most of the old timers. Parasites can be present in ANY feeders we feed off to our animals not just wc bugs. That is a myth. Just be sure you can identify all the bugs being offered. I only give my crew: grasshoppers, katydids, stick bugs, moths, and occas mantis. Ive only caught a cpl of mantis. But my guys love the big green hoppers and katydids. If you wanna feed flies I would buy those. You can get clean blue bottle flies from mantisplace.com or from a forum member here: brian/colorcham427. That way your feeding safe clean flies that havent been feeding on cow dung or dog crap. Between flies & wc bugs & hornworms, silkworms, cricks, & dubia you have a lot of options for your animal. He shouldnt get bored of any feeders if you rotate them often enuff.

thanks mr.panther man! :) i'll steer clear of the flies. She loves the moths, too, so I think I'll treat her tonight. Springtime out here is awesome for new buggies. We usually get a lot of praying mantis out here, but I think they'd be too big for my little Spunky yet. I think if she saw one of these big ol' creepy crawlies she'd be all :eek: lol

I agree with texas panther man.
I feed a wide range of foods and flys are just one of them. my quads and cristatus love them.
my mantids also can't get enough flys too.

Harry

I use a net and i can usually catch 30-50 hoppers in a little less than an hr at my place i go to to collect. Being that your out in the woods you could prob catch more than me in a short time. If you get a black light and a white sheet. You can plug that black light in at night and hang a sheet up behind it. The moths and nighttime flying insects will be drawn to that light. You can catch hundreds of moths in just one night doing that. Again, just be careful and feed only things you know are safe. Good luck collecting, Im going this afternoon after work to catch a few hoppers for my new additions.

I feed flies often - both WC and ordered (and many other wc feeders). To me, the health benefits of variety and stimulation outweigh the risks. And a constant rotation of feeders also seems important for long term cham health.

Back
Top Bottom