Flexarium/ventilation additional heating?

jojackson

Wanted to start this thread to avoid hijacking others titled 'flexarium'.
I use the phonebooth flexarium
https://www.chameleonforums.com/homers-new-habitat-pic-23923/
and have noticed as our winter approaches
my cham is spending longer periods basking.
He is in excellent health and condition, but the sheer size of his cage and ventilation means that below about 2-3ft from the top, ambient air temp
drops sharply.

This is the first real issue Ive noticed so far. Im using a 100watt heat bulb
(Yes its sufficiently out of reach to prevent burning. He takes some time to warm up before hunting).

Does anyone using this, or other large indoor cage, use additional heating in any form from lower in the cage/bottom?

What I wish to do is not heat from below, thus ruining the gradient, but rather
spread the heat more evenly from above. To this end, I have considered the following (new here) product which I saw at our recent Expo.

Please respond with your thoughts?

46543.jpg

Low voltage Fan Heater
Description
Low voltage Dichroic lamp with built in fan to disperse heat.

Diameter x Sizes Wattage
8cm Dia. x 8cm 20w
8cm Dia. x 8cm 35w
8cm Dia. x 8cm 50w

Features and Benefits
* Energy saving.
* Creates subtle air movement.
* Cool surround protector.

Low Voltage Fan Heater
The Low Voltage Fan Heater is a fan forced heat lamp unit that produces both
UVA and UVB light (UVB output approx. 4-5%). This lamp will provide a warm
flow of air that will help to create temperature gradients through the environment
as well as producing a highly directional beam of light over an intended basking
site. The air flow created by the fan creates convection currents within the
enclosure giving flow distribution over a large area.
Available in 20W, 35W and 50W.

Catalog (better pic page7)
http://www.reptileone.com.au/catalogue/ReptileOne_A5_Mini_brochure.pdf

Instruction Info

http://www.reptileone.com.au/instructions/Heat Fan Light/Heat Fan Light Instruction.pdf

Wanted to start this thread to avoid hijacking others titled 'flexarium'.
I use the phonebooth flexarium
https://www.chameleonforums.com/homers-new-habitat-pic-23923/
and have noticed as our winter approaches
my cham is spending longer periods basking.
He is in excellent health and condition, but the sheer size of his cage and ventilation means that below about 2-3ft from the top, ambient air temp
drops sharply.

This is the first real issue Ive noticed so far. Im using a 100watt heat bulb
(Yes its sufficiently out of reach to prevent burning. He takes some time to warm up before hunting).

Does anyone using this, or other large indoor cage, use additional heating in any form from lower in the cage/bottom?

What I wish to do is not heat from below, thus ruining the gradient, but rather
spread the heat more evenly from above. To this end, I have considered the following (new here) product which I saw at our recent Expo.

Please respond with your thoughts?

46543.jpg

Catalog (better pic page7)
http://www.reptileone.com.au/catalogue/ReptileOne_A5_Mini_brochure.pdf

Instruction Info

http://www.reptileone.com.au/instructions/Heat Fan Light/Heat Fan Light Instruction.pdf

Use a heating mat on the bottom... :) Suggested to me from someone who has experience setting these up. Heat from the lamps and heat from the bottom... I have the same thing... 6' tall...

I also use a 260 gallon reptarium(although I like phone booth better). I had the same issue with the temp at the bottom of the cage. I had tried the heat mat and it did work for me too to some extent, but I still couldn't get the correct ambient temperature I was looking for. I also tried a ceramic heat bulb in a clamp light for the bottom part of the cage aimed down and to the side. It helped...but then I added a hanging pothos (8"pot) from the top of the tank which reduced the light and warmth at the bottom of the cage even more. Its an ongoing issue keeping the temperature regulated for me. My digital thermometer is getting a workout :)

rather than a heat mat, or a heat fan, have you considered a small space heater to ensure the room temp does fall below 67F or whatever you're aiming for? Also if you cover the back and sides of the screen cage, you'll find more heat is retained within.

I had the heat mat on only half the bottom of the enclosure. It wasnt really a humidity issue, it was more of the mat getting wet from the drainage and the mat being under a pot I had a tree growing in.

I had the heat mat on only half the bottom of the enclosure. It wasnt really a humidity issue, it was more of the mat getting wet from the drainage and the mat being under a pot I had a tree growing in.

I use that soft tray on the bottom & shower curtains on the sides & back. Works great!! Mesh stays open in the day.

rather than a heat mat, or a heat fan, have you considered a small space heater to ensure the room temp does fall below 67F or whatever you're aiming for? Also if you cover the back and sides of the screen cage, you'll find more heat is retained within.

I did consider that but thought using shower curtains might increase humidity leading to mould. As it is the floor stays damp overnight (its getting cooler)
presently its not much of issue.

Using a heater on the other hand, might make the air dryer?

I have a bank and another enclosure in the same room, so ambient temps are nice in the day. A heater on all night though will skyrocket my powerbill, and more importantly, since its a smallish room might raise ambient temp too much. (a drop is important no?)

Not sure what temp it will get down to mid-winter, currently its about 20c/68f
overnight. But you've given me an idea, I might put a heater on a timer to cover the coldest part of the night.

I suppose I could rig up a thermostat (probe in cage bottom) and aim the heater at the bottom of the cage......

May just have to move him to a warmer room (nightmare at my place, not much space for re-arrangement, too many reptiles if thats possible LOL :))

Actually, the product above could be put on a thermostat too, but with a moonlight bulb! this might be a better option, it would be outside the cage at the bottom.

moonlight bulbs are for night heating of nocturnal species, glass is tinted deep purple so very little light emitted. What do you think?

Here's what I did to try to keep the humidity about right and the temps up a bit.

View attachment 11464

The bottom of the cage is about 8-10"off the ground. It's on a wire shelving unit. The trays underneath catch every drop of water. The back of the cage is covered in plastic with about 6" excess at the bottom that sits between the wire shelf and the cage. the water runs off into the catch trays where they can be easily slid out and cleaned/drained.

View attachment 11465

Excuse the picture being on it's side. I didn't rotate it :(

Its not in the picture but on the right side of the cage on the outside I have a clamp light with a low watt bulb aimed diagnally toward the bottom. It sits just below the crossbar that runs in the middle of the front of the cage. Between the water running off completely out of the tank and the extra bulb on the lower half of the cage the temp/humidity are kept in check.

I'm always monitoring the temp/humidity just to make sure there's a good gradient. But It seems to help me out a bit and I hope it may help you a little bit too.

Back
Top Bottom