Flexarium Modification

That would be fine.
Careful with a heat or basking bulb though ....especially with glass.
I never used one when the cham was young and I am not using a basking light with my female.
Just get accurate temp readings and don't go over 80 degrees f. anywhere in the enclosure.

-Brad

Thanks brad, you seem to have quite an open mind about different caring methods, would you mind if i typed up a brief idea of how i plan on caring for my cham and you just take a look at it and offer a few suggestions?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this. But using a shower curtain, hot glue, and velcro is a great way to block off a side of the flexarium or reptarium.

thanks for all your input, brilliant link simon just what i was looking for!! Im going to get one of those. :D

No probs, really sound, knowledgable guy that gets them made so give him a call or email, helped me out a load. I think they look a lot better than the flexariums, better visability into them and more stable

-Lights, up to a 75 gallon (personal experiments) can be placed in the same pot resting just above the terrarium long term. Above that, and after a longer period of time the heat does indeed finally get to the mesh. If you moved it around often enoguh, I suppose there would be less degredation of the mesh.

-Flexariums block plenty of light and UV. I would choose to put a ficture that holds two or more fluorescents over them. Keepers do notice a change in colour between chameleons housed in Dark Flexariums or other cages. Adding aditional lighting will aid in doing the same. (Also note, a 10.0 bulb is not the same as two 5.0 bulbs).

-Walls inside flexariums are easily made. Buy some Corruplast (Corrugated plastic) from a home or hardware store, or plastic/PVC supplier. If you want three walls covered in your cage, take measurements for the heigt of the cage (from the bottom of the black frame, tot he top of the black frame,) and then measure the widths of each wall it will be on. Add those measurements up, plus 2 inches. (Plus one inch if you are only covering two walls- as this accounts for bending the plastic.) Cute the board into one sheet using the two measurements, witht he folds in the cardboard going vertically. Take your flexarium mesh of its frame. Tape on end of the board to the frame on one side, and bed it around, then tape it on the other side. Slip the Flexarium cover back on, and then remove the tape (important!). Voila, some new solid white walls. White will help brighten the cage also as explained above.

-Zipper troubles. Take some vaseline or petrolium jully and put some into the zipper, and open and close it a few times to spread it out. Repeat every month if needed. No more zipper woes.

Hope this will help someone.

The only thing with aluminum screen is that if you buy one off that guy it will cost alot and then in a few months youll need to upgrade to a bigger one, thats why I have the flexarium for now and will be upgrading to a bigger aluminium screen for perminant housing.

Back
Top Bottom