Fish tank UV sterilizers

My two penneys: UV sterilisers would only really be beneficial to taking water from an off grid (non water treatment municipal) like lake water,. Ground water, swamp water.
Reason being uvc sterilisers actually dont kill bacteria but mutates them to be unable to reproduce. Doesn't do much to chemical composition of water if treating tap water you would still need to remove chlorine (far more effective water sterilser)
In my opinion HMA filter way to go the filter is important not just a GAC carbon filter a high quality resin 3rd stage with a sediment filter 0.5 microns deal with bacteria.
Or completely strip the water via RO filter and re mineralise with drops of your chosen micro nutrients.

Also RO filters work best last longer after a 3+ stage HMA filter aswell.

I know a supplier but he uk;

Screenshot_20220618-214006.png
Screenshot_20220618-214006.png

Never even heard of people putting uv light on town water. There no reason. Now well water yes some places it's required to make water drinkable. Knw of few people that have uv on well and no ro system. They paid professional to hook up systems. They get water tested every other month. Now if you want to get rid of chlorine that different. Uv for house and tanks are two totally different things. Uv system for house cost 2k 3k to have hooked up. So if you live around farm land most likely need uv to make

Thank you all! I had one with my one saltwater tank back in the day(came with it), but I never got around to setting it up lol.

So here’s what my post is about: water features… originally I didn’t want to mention why I was asking because I don’t like to condone using them for most animals. This is more of me brainstorming how to make it possible to use one(safely) rather than wanting to put it out there that I think people should do it. My enclosures are a work of art to me and for years I have been wanting to come up with a way to work in a small water feature, but haven’t yet felt comfortable trying. The idea was to somehow filter and sterilize the water right before coming out of a small free fall waterfall at the top, where it would then pool in a spot inaccessible to the Cham at the bottom. So the only part of water the Cham could get to would be straight from the sterilizer… like a faster dripper. I’m in no way set on this, just having fun considering the possibilities. While I don’t think water features are necessary at all, I do think going through all of the trouble to filter/sanitize it correctly would add a slight benefit to the Cham. Whether it be for humidity, cooling down the air?, a drinking source, or just for natural enrichment. A lot of what I’ve read puts chameleons close to water sources in the wild. It may be comforting to them like it is to us and many other animals to see a water source(just a guess)? Sure, things are scaled down in captivity, but that’s the water feature included… making it more like a puddle or tiny spring. Maybe in the wild this is even a way for some to get extra minerals(drinking from puddles, springs, etc). Anyway, this isn’t me thinking I know better than anyone, I just don’t like the black and white idea of a water feature having no benefit and not being possible to do. I think it is one of those things we chalk up to that because 99.99% of people will not/cannot put in the time/money to do it safely.
Any updates??! I’d love to see a prototype or even a drawing of what you’ve worked out!

Any updates??! I’d love to see a prototype or even a drawing of what you’ve worked out!
Unfortunately still just in planning/hoping stages lol. I might have something I drew up somewhere around. I have spent a lot of time researching and thinking about something like this. My main issue has been $ and space due to a recent career change(back in school at 30). I may have to either slowly work at this over spring/summer with the supplies I do have or just put it on hold entirely until I start my job in a year and a half.

Feel free to share or ask about anything. I love brainstorming the idea.

Back
Top Bottom