Fish Flakes and Crickets

I heard there is a chance of gout when gutloading with fishfood, but I am unsure if this claim is substantiated.

A little every now and then probably wouldn't hurt.

potatos are high in phosphorous(sp) and should not be used. carrots im not sure, but i use are super cricket hi-cal formula sold at Petsmart for about 9 dollars. it is a tube about 10 inches high. it has lasted me about 6 months and still have a lot left. i also use the flukers water cubes with calcium. just go spent the 12 dollars and gut load your crickets that way. much better

i also use the flukers water cubes with calcium.

Those water cubes are a rip off and a half ("calcium enhanced" or not). It takes two teaspoons of the dry crystals to make a pint. They only making about 10,000% profit.

Great product and they do keep the crickets hydrated without the drowning risk, but you're paying Fluker's to add the water for you.

The "problem" with fish food flakes is the type of vitamin A. Some sites and vets recommend it and others recommend against it. It certainly shouldn't be the only food you're offering; my crickets ate it like there was no tomorrow. I'm going to ask Dr. Kolmstetter about it when I see her (exotic vet extraordinaire) and see what she says about it.

Thanks

I did see that fish food is okay for feeding crickets but i will feed them with something else.

rip off or not i do like them and a bottle does last a long time. they cant lie about the calcium. i'd pay 3 dollars just to make my life that much easier

I'd like to see some data that shows that the calcium actually benefits the chameleon or that it's actually metabolised by the crickets.

Of course, they're not having their own polymers manufactured so I doubt they're doing anything more than putting dissolving calcium carbonate and yellow food dye into the water before hydrating the crystals. Personally, I'd rather have a eight times more crystals for the same money, but that's just me.

I make my own out of organic sugar free jello. I just double the jello to water ratio and even put organic veggi juice. The crix and roaches love it.

Don't use fish flakes, not exactly sure why it is not good to feed your chameleon crickets gutloaded with fish food, but I know it is not good for them. Try cricketfood.com if you are looking to buy a commercial gutload. Or make your own, Celery (for water), carrots, apples, and oranges work great.

Dandelion greens are great if you can find them in a safe area. They are very high in calcium, higher in vitamin A than spinach and lots of other good stuff. I just put the whole leafs in my cricket keeper and they will eat it to the stalks. I use flukers orange for their water. Also usually throw some kind of fruit or veggies also. Pear or apple,carrots.

Dandelion greens are great if you can find them in a safe area. They are very high in calcium, higher in vitamin A than spinach and lots of other good stuff. I just put the whole leafs in my cricket keeper and they will eat it to the stalks. I use flukers orange for their water. Also usually throw some kind of fruit or veggies also. Pear or apple,carrots.

i think they sell dandelion greens in groceries, no?

I've never seen them in my area=Shreveport, LA area-but I've read in other posts about people finding them in their grocery stores and griping about how high they are. We've been in the low 40's and high 30's here for awhile and the ones I'm finding in our lot are very green and healthy. You should be able to find them wild in your area. I think they are country wide and their just considered a weed. If your having a hard time id'ing them, drop me a PM or google them. They are a very distinctive plant and may be an evergreen though I'm not sure about that. Everything else in our yard and lot is dead, but the dandelions are very healthy. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom