First Timer ... Veiled Baby Chameleon. Great site, so helpful ...

Mason Land

My son saved up for a veiled baby chameleon who arrived two days ago ... I have read a lot of information online (I am so thankful for this forum!) I'm looking for general advice. So far, the only issue we've encountered is achieving and maintaining ideal humidity. I purchased a Pothos today and plan on covering a couple of sides of the cage.

Now I'll brag a little;) He is one handsome chameleon!

What do we need to know that may not be "common advice/practice" about raising this little guy to be a healthy and happy chameleon?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 189
Well, for one, a varied diet is a good thing to have. So instead of just feeding crickets, you can feed baby fruit flies, dubia roaches (don't get freaked out by the name, they're harmless to your home and you), baby hornworms, silkworms, superworms, mealworms, pheonix worms, anything. Just give the guy a varied diet.

Also, you don't HAVE to have ___ humidity ALL day constantly.

They need dry-out periods, otherwise it would be too humid. I would mist them around 4 times (or three) a day heavily and then let it dry out in between

Thanks! I've been doing a lot of misting while my son is in school but always let everything dry before starting again. I've realized the humidity varies constantly and it does not seem to be a problem so far. Honestly, I'm surprised this little guy has adjusted so quickly, seems comfortable, and is eating and drinking fine.

Any advice on when I should add fruits, vegetables, and other insects to his diet?

The breeder was free range feeding only crickets but I could not get him to hunt and/or find a single cricket in our cage (maybe because ours is vertically expansive and I'm sure much larger than the breeders cage?) but he quickly gobbled 7 crickets once I placed them in a cup and attached them to a limb he could look down on.

How far can they see/sense prey?

Thanks!:)

Thanks for your reply! I have received great information everywhere on this forum!

I have a follow up question for anybody who wants to answer ...

What should I cover sides of the cage with if I chose to do so? Do I do this inside or outside of the cage?

What "strategies" do you guys use for cleaning a chameleons cage? I have branches and props resting on the floor tied into the rest of the branches and limbs. I already had to remove bedding once I realized it was a huge mistake. It's a bit of a pain to deconstruct the chameleons habitat. Do you guys mostly keep the floor clear aside from live plants?

Back
Top Bottom