First time trying Dubias

Ive been able to sex them when they are about 1/2" accurately. If I try really hard I can do it with a magnifying glass if they are smaller.

Nymphs can be sexed by their segments in their bellies. The females have a really wide last segment and the males have a really small last segment. If you compare them side to side, its really easy to see the difference. When nymphs are about 1" or so, they can also be sexed by looking at their wing stubs (where their wings would grow in as an adult.) the males clearly have elongated ones while the females do not.

Ive been able to sex them when they are about 1/2" accurately. If I try really hard I can do it with a magnifying glass if they are smaller.

Nymphs can be sexed by their segments in their bellies. The females have a really wide last segment and the males have a really small last segment. If you compare them side to side, its really easy to see the difference. When nymphs are about 1" or so, they can also be sexed by looking at their wing stubs (where their wings would grow in as an adult.) the males clearly have elongated ones while the females do not.

Nice! Learn something new eveyday. Thx pssh!

The adults, males have wings and the females have much shorter wings. But I have no idea when they're that small. How big/old is your Cham?

I don't have one :(

But I reckon the geckos and dragon will nom them once they get a bit bigger.

Thank you for the sexing tips! Will have a peek later ...

Might have to get some adults. I'm very impatient!

I don't have one :(

But I reckon the geckos and dragon will nom them once they get a bit bigger.

Thank you for the sexing tips! Will have a peek later ...

Might have to get some adults. I'm very impatient!

It will take forever to get a colony going if you don't have any adults. I bought 1000 smalls to begin with and I was like "yay, colony started!". Nope...waited months and they were just growing. LOL. U need more females to males. The more females the better. When my chams leave crickets laying around, I give them Adult males and they love them.

5 months for a dubia to mature , a month to have babys & then waiting until they are mature enough to feed takes a HUGE amount of patience . Of course , to anybody who can wait for chameleon eggs to hatch . that would be a breeze !!! :) . Find somebody who will sell adults out of the colony , even if aged , they should be carying the fertilized egg sack . The egg sack is visable especially if a few weeks old . Sometimes I lift their " skirt ' to see if gravid .

Back
Top Bottom