First Shed Help With Eyes

payton.geschke

Hi everyone! I believe my little girl is going through her first shed! I'm a bit concerned that it isn't a shed, since I was told that she's around 2 months old, and I thought shedding started farther into her life, but I don't know what else would be going on. I was hoping someone could give me tips on helping her though the shed since she is so young.

It's a bit hard to see in the pictures, but I think the shed on her eyes might be getting stuck, should I do something about that? Any advice would be great, thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 56

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I believe my little girl is going through her first shed! I'm a bit concerned that it isn't a shed, since I was told that she's around 2 months old, and I thought shedding started farther into her life, but I don't know what else would be going on. I was hoping someone could give me tips on helping her though the shed since she is so young.

It's a bit hard to see in the pictures, but I think the shed on her eyes might be getting stuck, should I do something about that? Any advice would be great, thank you!!
You need to let her shed by herself... But I am a bit concerned by the looks of the enclosure she is in. Have you had a husbandry review and posted pics of your enclosure and lighting on top? This is really important that she has the right enclosure and lighting to prevent illness and MBD.

payton.geschke

@Beman Thanks for your help! I did a husbandry review back when I first got her, and I'm still working on updating it. I'll be getting a larger screen enclosure in a few weeks, so I'm pretty sure all I have left is to switch to live plants. To address your specific concern about MBD and lighting, I recently got a 5.0 T5HO fixture/bulb and I also have a 60W ExoTerra DayTime Heat Lamp around 9" from her basking spot. But, I'll post an full updated husbandry form in a bit just to make sure I'm still on the right track!

Also about the shedding, should I still be giving her crickets? They tend to pick on her (crawl over her, sit on her, etc.), and I don't want her to have to stress about that while she's shedding. It seems like she'll be done with it by tonight, would I be okay to skip a day of feeding? She's young so I'm not sure how well she'd tolerate that, as she usually eats like 15 a day. Thanks so much!!

QuinnieLeeBlu

Avid Member
You need to let her shed by herself... But I am a bit concerned by the looks of the enclosure she is in. Have you had a husbandry review and posted pics of your enclosure and lighting on top? This is really important that she has the right enclosure and lighting to prevent illness and MBD.
Yeah I agree with @Beman. She can shed by her self.

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
@Beman Thanks for your help! I did a husbandry review back when I first got her, and I'm still working on updating it. I'll be getting a larger screen enclosure in a few weeks, so I'm pretty sure all I have left is to switch to live plants. To address your specific concern about MBD and lighting, I recently got a 5.0 T5HO fixture/bulb and I also have a 60W ExoTerra DayTime Heat Lamp around 9" from her basking spot. But, I'll post an full updated husbandry form in a bit just to make sure I'm still on the right track!

Also about the shedding, should I still be giving her crickets? They tend to pick on her (crawl over her, sit on her, etc.), and I don't want her to have to stress about that while she's shedding. It seems like she'll be done with it by tonight, would I be okay to skip a day of feeding? She's young so I'm not sure how well she'd tolerate that, as she usually eats like 15 a day. Thanks so much!!
you risk them being bitten if you have crickets running in the cage... Most will use a feeder run or cup for feeders.

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
About the shedding... I'd "Bo Peep" her.

Leave her alone,
and she'll come home,
dragging her shed behind her! :LOL:

They're all different, but my (cham's) first shed was over & done in 2 hours. Today was his third, and again—done in 2 hours. If yours is even half that fast you've still got plenty of time to decide on feeding her. Worst case, skipping a day isn't going to kill her. Keep water available as usual.

I don't let crix free either (though I fumbled the feeding this morning, and there are 3 or 4 hiding in there somewhere... 😡 ); I use a feeder run cup. A few crix have jumped out of that too, but they don't seem to live long—they get down into the drain pan & drown. Cham never ventures down in the lower decks anyway... 🤷‍♂️

payton.geschke

Thanks so much to both of you! I do use a feeder cup (Link), I guess my crickets are just really good at getting out, any suggestions for a better cup? I will definitely work on "bo-peeping" her (such a great analogy), I think she's doing great on her own! I really appreciate your help!

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I guess my crickets are just really good at getting out, any suggestions for a better cup?
If you find one, please let me know!

Is there a way for water to drain out of the one you linked?
I had an earlier one than I have now, and when the mister went off, water collected in the bottom and drowned any bugs still in it... :oops:

payton.geschke

Is there a way for water to drain out of the one you linked?
I had an earlier one than I have now, and when the mister went off, water collected in the bottom and drowned any bugs still in it... :oops:
I haven't run into that issue too much since I hand mist! I attach my cup to the glass door of my terrarium, so I just mist it with the door open so none of the water gets into the cup!

Top Bottom