First of Seven Enclosures built

panthercrazy

Here is the first of seven enclosures built for my chams.

Measurements 42"H x 24" D x 18" W

Lighting on top 24" fixture with linear tube T5 Tropical UVB (thoughts on these?? I know many state the T8 Reptisun 5.0)
Dome fixture with heat/basking bulb

Frame has been water proofed. I like the natural look so left it that way.
Top and both side and door screen of course. The back has a piece of corrugated plastic to save my wall and also another piece in the bottom. For now I have no drain hole drilled (not to say it will always stay that way), currently the misting/drip system runs directly into the ficus tree.

The entire front is a door which makes for easier access to place plant pots in or take out. :) They way it is built, when you close and latch it sinches it down to create a seal to ensure to feeders escape.

I have decorated with a ficus approx 2 ft plus pot, allowing room for growth, fake plants and vines/ Twisted piece of wood attached diagonally across top of enclosure to allow for closeness to lighting if required and then other vines positioned throughout the enclosure.
**Still to add another plant - dracena*** I wanted to add a pothos as well but leary due to the possible toxins if chosen to munch on which my veiled eat the ficus lots! Maybe will put only in the panthers homes??

When all 7 are done, we have a system that will actually allow for these to be mounted side by side on my wall with slight tilt forward for future drainage if required. Which for me works great. Others may prefer a rack system. Either way, a drainage system/tray has been considered to build in if required which will work with the wall hanging system or rack. Misting system will be set up when all enclosures are done, for now I use hand misting/drip directly into plants 3 times per day.

Any thoughts/suggestions/criticism is welcome and very much appreciated :)

I will update pics as we get them all assembled together. So far here is the first one done, sitting on my floor currently. One of front & side view, one looking down into enclosure and another of Lucifer settling in while shedding today.

Thanks everyone. I have 3 completed as of now, they are coming along nicely. Once they are all finished I will be running a misting/drip system as well :)

Here's a few more pics....the chams are really liking them now that they have settled in and I've gone away & taken the scary camera with me...lol

what sort of aluminum screening r u using size ect? be getting someone to build my cage soon and is wooden one infact they look nice and how many times did u coat ya wood? looks great by way keep up good work

The top screen is much heavier weight aluminum (I believe its 1/8" squares)to handle the weight of lights sitting there. The other screen is called 'vinyl' screen which is used on many screen doors.

The wood was treated with 3 coats of water sealer and kept natural look.

cool is 1.88 in mm sorry im from uk might b diff.cnt wait to get his new cage if got room gona make another and get another cham wud love a panther just stuck on which panther to get lol

did u also cut ya corrugated plastic,im looking to buy some now but there saying do ya wnt short flute or long flute tht just goes over my head im thick lol.im obv thinking long flute the longer the sheet short wider the sheet is but dont want to buy and get it wrong lol

did u also cut ya corrugated plastic,im looking to buy some now but there saying do ya wnt short flute or long flute tht just goes over my head im thick lol.im obv thinking long flute the longer the sheet short wider the sheet is but dont want to buy and get it wrong lol

I bought several large sheets of this as I am making 7 enclosures, so I just had cut down to size.

This next enclosure has been done full out & painting as I have several people locally interested in seeing one that is 'fancy'.

These pictures are step by step as it was set up. I just have to add my large ficus and it'll be complete.

The fake plants have been attached along the wood inside, and some zip tied on top screen. I took the twigs and attached via ziptie on top as well, and then with both plants added the other large twigs will fit in securely.

Last edited:
While completing these, we have come up with a possible idea/solution to have one cage from baby cham to adult. So with that said, the next one to be built will have insert/shelf which would make the height of the baby cage almost half. This would allow the enclosure to be smaller and house a baby cham and then when old enough you can remove the insert and you now have larger adult cage.

As it stands I have 2 chams(1panther, 1 veil) that are still babies and I will have their new enclosures built but would be too big, so I had to figure a way to get them into their 'pretty' new homes too....this should work, any thoughts?

Hmmm....the only thing about doing this is each one makes you think " what if" "let's try" ....lol Does it ever end??? Just gets better right?!

I'm jealous :)

I'm jealous of those who have the skills and patience to make quality things like your cages......what kind of chams are in them?

I'm jealous of those who have the skills and patience to make quality things like your cages......what kind of chams are in them?

Thanks for the kind words. They are quite simple really and we are looking at the possibilty of putting them together as kits locally.

Right now, 3 are being used to house 1 panther, 2 veils. What I like the most is since moving them into these, they seem much happier. By that I mean they display nice/content colorings (until I mist a couple don't like it as drip system not ready to go until all are done).

Back
Top Bottom