First day to new home veiled chameleon. Need help

Sparrowsclaw

So I just brought home my first chameleon, he is a juvenile male veiled chameleon, about 5 inches long. He was very active at the pet store vibrant colors,(he was housed with 2 other larger but still juvenile veiled chameleons seemed uncomfortable) as soon as the pet store associate handled him ( which was very gentle and allowed the chameleon to come to him) he drained color from a bright multi colored pattern to a very pale light green. We had a half hour car ride which was uneventful. The habitat was set up completely before we let him climb from the box to the habitat. We have not handled him. He immediately climbed to the highest part of the foliage and for the past 6 hours has not regained color, moved, opened his eyes. We have kept the temperature at the top of the cage from 90-95 the lower part no cooler than 75-80 (although the night cycle just started and the top has dropped to 80 ish) we have kept the humidity from 50-75%. Foliage has been misted and he has mealworms in a dish. I was afraid that he was dead so I touched his foot with a q-tip and his color changed drastically, markings appeared then faded right back to a pale dull green, he still has not reopened his eyes. This is my first chameleon, however i have owned many other reptiles. Should I be concerned about this behavior?
Any help would be appreciated.

Our current setup is. 12x12x20 top and front screened tank 18x18x36 is ordered and on its way.
The tank is sitting in a built it tv stand approx 3 feet off the ground adjacent to our main living room.
We have a fake ficus branch 2 fake vine plants criss crossing the tank and a real parlor palm in the opposite corner(which he has yet to see or use). We have a 50 watt heating UVB lamp for basking with a double vine about 6 inches below it, temp on that vine is 92-98, during the night cycle 80-85.
For food I have nutrient enriched crickets and mealworms, he has not eaten yet.
I live in FL btw.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Like Sparrowsclaw I am a new Cham owner - adopted a 1yr old veiled yesterday from a nice kid who had gotten in way over his head with pets in his apartment (all animals in excellent care/shape, but way, way too many for him to handle). It has been some years since I've owned a reptile so I have been reading obsessively to ensure the habitat he came in is ok, etc.
This Cham seems to be settling in and has eaten some, but I worry his hab (19x19x37) is not as large as preferred but also too densely cluttered with fake plants. I think I'll head out and see if I can get a small ficus and pothos, and some decent horizontal perches. How do folks attach those to screen walls without ripping the screen?
Similarly, this hab has 2 glass sides and two that are glass (screen top of course). Nice and sturdy, but too much restriction on air flow?
This forum is a gold mine - thank you all - I look forward to providing my big guy a happy, healthy life...

I am very animal - experienced, but chameleons (except in the wild when I lived in Kenya) are new to me.

Thank you all for any suggestions you may have regarding my specific hab.

Allison

Hi all,
Like Sparrowsclaw I am a new Cham owner - adopted a 1yr old veiled yesterday from a nice kid who had gotten in way over his head with pets in his apartment (all animals in excellent care/shape, but way, way too many for him to handle). It has been some years since I've owned a reptile so I have been reading obsessively to ensure the habitat he came in is ok, etc.
This Cham seems to be settling in and has eaten some, but I worry his hab (19x19x37) is not as large as preferred but also too densely cluttered with fake plants. I think I'll head out and see if I can get a small ficus and pothos, and some decent horizontal perches. How do folks attach those to screen walls without ripping the screen?
Similarly, this hab has 2 glass sides and two that are glass (screen top of course). Nice and sturdy, but too much restriction on air flow?
This forum is a gold mine - thank you all - I look forward to providing my big guy a happy, healthy life...

I am very animal - experienced, but chameleons (except in the wild when I lived in Kenya) are new to me.

Thank you all for any suggestions you may have regarding my specific hab.

Allison

Welcome to the forums Allison. Congrats on your veiled. You should start your own thread and post a few pictures.

Back
Top Bottom