First Chameleon!

camilla09

Hi! We got our first chameleon a few days ago. A female Jackson. She is about 3 months old. She is currently sleeping on me as I type this :)

She is eating well and seems to like her enclosure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie? Is there anything that they like in their enclosures to entertain them? Anything helps!

Welcome to the forums, you will have many of your questions answered here by people who really know about chameleons.

Hello and Congratulations on your chameleon. May you have many wonderous years with her.

What I would recommend is a water dripper. I have one that is made to look like a rock and that goes on the side of my chameleons enclosure with a magnet. My chameleon, Bubba, also sleeps on it. Not only does it look natural and work, but it is appealing to the eye.

Oh, by the way I wouldn't handle her for a couple months because the lil ones r a little jumpy. Let her settle into her cage.

In my cage we have a large vertical dowel rod with little ones branching horizontally off of it. It is draped in fake vines. I don't need real plants for humidity because I live in Florida. If the humidity levels in your area r low you need something that provides humidity.

Thanks! Where did you get the dripper? We were told if she is okay with handling then it's better if we do so she is used to it as she gets older. She is very relaxed and not jumpy at all. We keep at a minimum though. She's definitely not a shy girl though :)

In my cage we have a large vertical dowel rod with little ones branching horizontally off of it. It is draped in fake vines. I don't need real plants for humidity because I live in Florida. If the humidity levels in your area r low you need something that provides humidity.

We live in Florida as well! She has a really cool twisting branch thing in her enclosure that she climbs more than her plants.

Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on your cham.

You can purchase a little dripper or a big dripper from a pet store or online. You can also make your own using a large plastic cup, poking a hole from the inside out in the bottom of it.

No we actually fell in love with her at PetSmart. The manager there was very helpful and told us everything we needed to know. I don't know the size of a 3 month old. She could be older than what they thought. As far as the dripper, we sometimes put ice cubes on the mesh top and it melts down and she seems to like that.

I wouldn't rely on the guys at petsmart. Ive heard they give off a lot of false info. Some may be right though... Do you have a UVB 5.0, and dusters 4 live crickets such as calcium D3?

No we actually fell in love with her at PetSmart. The manager there was very helpful and told us everything we needed to know. I don't know the size of a 3 month old. She could be older than what they thought. As far as the dripper, we sometimes put ice cubes on the mesh top and it melts down and she seems to like that.

likely, "everything you need to know" is everything you should not be doing. That's petsmart and petco for you. So you should definitely fill out the form in case there are major changes you will have to make.

Yes we have all those things. There are some there that I would never listen to, but this lady is always such a help and really cares that everything is right for the animals. I trust her word, but of course there are other tidbits that can only be given by an owner of a chameleon.

Oh, because I have a petsmart near me with a lady like the one you mentioned. By the way, in the future I wouldn't buy from petsmart because you can get a PAIR of jackson's for $85 vs. $130 4 One. Jackson's aren't good starter chams. I would've recommended a panther or veiled, but u can make it work.

Here, fill this out so we can be absolutely positive you have everything correct :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Back
Top Bottom