First chameleon, nosy be panther!

DirtbagDeluxe

Hey all, first post. I just picked up this little guy and have already learned alot. This is his current set up, seems to be drinking and finding food fine. Is it ok to keep tweaking as we go?

It’s good to keep tweaking. In fact, getting rid of the water feature is a good start. They are impossible to keep clean. Also, I don’t see any linear bulbs for UVB. Unless you keep your new friend outside for most of the day, that crappy compact fluorescent will not supply what he needs. Read through the care sheets, a lot to tweak yet. If you are going on the advice of a pet store employee, just smile and ignore them, they are almost always completely wrong. Post more pics and fill out and post the question sheet, if there are any issues or questions, the members here are great sources for information. You’ve got the collective experience of dozens of successful breeders and tons of dedicated keepers at your fingertips.

What I mean more is I've had him for a bout a week, I don't think hes more than a month old. Is it gonna stress him out to be messing with his setup too much?

Given his age and the amount of time you’ve had him he is stressed 24/7 right now anyway, a bit more to get his cage right is no problem. Getting sick or nearly drowning would add far more stress to his life than making these changes ever will.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Yes, that water feature will become a breeding ground for bacteria and other such things. It is doing him no good to begin with, so it absolutely needs to be removed.
Your enclosure could use a whole lot more cover for him, too. And horizontal branches. Many, many of those are needed

It looks pretty but just mist... others are right about the water feature. I like how it looks though... whats that plant on the far middle with the thin leaves.??

Looking better! You can pick up a Pothos plant cheap, it will look great and help with more foliage. The Pothos will grow like a vine and provide a nice place for your guy to climb on.

Looking better! You can pick up a Pothos plant cheap, it will look great and help with more foliage. The Pothos will grow like a vine and provide a nice place for your guy to climb on.
I picket up a umbrella that I'm gonna make smaller. It's in quarantine right now. I dont have any organic growers around.

The plant does not have to be from an organic farm. Rinse the new plant with water and change the soil to organic soil.

So this is where I'm at, I repotted the umbrella tree, washed the tree with a soap and water sprayed down 3 times. I let the shower run over the plant for about 30 min. Then I removed the jungle vine and replaced it with some washed and baked sticks from a tree out front.

I have the mister setup sort of in the middle, is it best for the whole head to be inside the enclosure? Is the corner best?

Thanks guys, I really want Balrog to thrive and you all have helped alot!

Attachments

• 20180830_130018.jpg
    20180830_130018.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 116
I always have 1 branch going to the floor just in case he needs to get back up.

You will also need an bigger cage in 3-4 months if not sooner...

But it looks good.

Looks pretty good. Remember, you are going to need to get a larger enclosure very soon. My advice would be to get the largest one you can, and continue what you’ve started. Try to really fill out the cage, make it hard to find Balrog. As far as the misting head, I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as it covers most of the foliage with water. Always improving is always in Balrog’s best interest. Keep at it.

16x16x20 is 5120 sq inches.

Minimum recomended for a adult panther is 24x24x48

where a 24x24x48 is 27650 sq inches.

You have a chameleon in less space than a 5th as what is recommended for an adult panther.

I do not mean to bash you you at all. Smaller cages are great for babies, they can catch the food easier.

However you will eventually need to upgrade.

I am in Canada and have 2 female panther chameleons. Both are in Exo Terra Large X-tall terrariums glass.
These have holes in the bottom for airflow and keep the heat in better come winter.

The whole idea of keeping young chameleons in smaller spaces is rediculous. Unless you are a breeder, and space is an issue for dozens of neonates, what is the point? They live in the wild, that’s not too big is it? Larger cages allow for proper zoning for temp and UVB, and worrying about finding feeders, really? If your chameleon is supplied adequate, appropriate feeders, it will eat fine. I wish people would stop recommending buying small cages for young reptiles, chameleons or not.

The whole idea of keeping young chameleons in smaller spaces is rediculous. Unless you are a breeder, and space is an issue for dozens of neonates, what is the point? They live in the wild, that’s not too big is it? Larger cages allow for proper zoning for temp and UVB, and worrying about finding feeders, really? If your chameleon is supplied adequate, appropriate feeders, it will eat fine. I wish people would stop recommending buying small cages for young reptiles, chameleons or not.

I agree with that. As long as someone has plenty of sticks, vines, plants, ect in their vivs. Just In case the little one does have a fall, he’ll be able to grab something or land on a plant instead if plummeting down 48 inches. That’s the only thing that ever worries me.

Back
Top Bottom