First breeding question (When female can lay egg once they started to dig?)

LupinIII

Hi all
new to forums, I have a female and male pair panther chameleon which is over 1.3 years now.
It was last mating 20 days ago and I separated them since female has changed her body color and she wasn't happy with the male.
Today finally she started to dig the egg laying bin which is actually a flowerpot so I tried not to give any stress to her and during 3~4 hours she changed her location and dig the soil very deep and now she seems normal on the branches as usual.
I've check her belly which showed not that sure also checked flowerpot but I couldn't find any eggs today.
This is just first time for me which I have no idea.
Please give me some tips. Is this kind of normal behavior before laying eggs? I thought once they get the proper position in the soil, they'd lay eggs...

Attachments

• photo_2017-06-05_21-37-57.jpg
    photo_2017-06-05_21-37-57.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 115
  • photo_2017-06-05_21-38-02.jpg
    photo_2017-06-05_21-38-02.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 125
  • photo_2017-06-05_21-38-08.jpg
    photo_2017-06-05_21-38-08.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 154
  • photo_2017-06-05_21-38-14.jpg
    photo_2017-06-05_21-38-14.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 122
This is how it should go...the female will dig a hole...in fact she may dig several holes...but should settle on one soon and dig it until she's happy with it. She will then backmintomthe hole and lay her eggs...usually in the evening. She might even sleep in the hole overnight. When she's done laying them she should fill in the hole and tamp the substrate down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty.

If it doesn't go this way then let us know asap.

Females usually lay eggs 30 to 50 days after mating, from I believe. :)
Good luck with laying!
Yes, thank you for the comment. :) Actually it may have been more than a month since I introduced them couple of times for mating and I believe it was more than 30 days period before separated them so what I mean 15 days ago, I clearly confirmed in my eyes on their mating.

This is how it should go...the female will dig a hole...in fact she may dig several holes...but should settle on one soon and dig it until she's happy with it. She will then backmintomthe hole and lay her eggs...usually in the evening. She might even sleep in the hole overnight. When she's done laying them she should fill in the hole and tamp the substrate down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty.

If it doesn't go this way then let us know asap.
Thank you so much very helpful! :) Yes she returned to the branches and today also her body shows very darker and one thing I need to tell you when she finished her job yesterday, digging and staying, I also found the substrate seemed quite flat meaning she filled in the hole.
Do they fill in the hole without laying eggs? and sometime can they do this behavior again?

They can dig for a while and then take a break back up in the branches but once they commit to laying they should lay all the eggs and fill in the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches. They can accidentally fill in s hole test while they are digging test holes but once they chose a hole and keep digging that hole they won't fill it in until they have laid the eggs...unless they are having a phantom laying (act like they laid but didn't because they are eggbound).

Does she look like she has laid the eggs? She should be considerately thinner, a little worn out looking, and real thirsty if she did. They can dig quite deep are you sure you didn't just miss them? Good luck

They can dig for a while and then take a break back up in the branches but once they commit to laying they should lay all the eggs and fill in the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches. They can accidentally fill in s hole test while they are digging test holes but once they chose a hole and keep digging that hole they won't fill it in until they have laid the eggs...unless they are having a phantom laying (act like they laid but didn't because they are eggbound).
OK understood. Thank you for the info. She is enjoying basking and looks darker and normal...
I attached some photo. sorry about not focused but I didn't want to bother her to open the door.

Attachments

• leon.jpg
    leon.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 120
  • leon2.jpg
    leon2.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 109
Does she look like she has laid the eggs? She should be considerately thinner, a little worn out looking, and real thirsty if she did. They can dig quite deep are you sure you didn't just miss them? Good luck
Thank you. As you mentioned, I also feel very complicated whether I just missed... and her belly is not that thinner so I believe she may not yet.

Attachments

• leon3.jpg
    leon3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 126
For future reference it is a good idea to track the weight of your breeding females. That way it is easier to tell if they laid eggs or not.

Back
Top Bottom