Fire belly toads

Sage

Hello my friend wants to get some fire belly toads and they were wondering wht they need, eat and all tht other stuff. Thanks

Sorry, don't know much about them. I know they need land and water and eat crickets and mealworms but thats about it. Try googling them and it should pull up the info you need.

Make sure you have a way to drain the water and replace it easily, and filter it well while it is in there. The little guys are toxic, and it builds up in their water along with the usual froggy bacteria. I kept a pair of them for a number of years, I think it was a 20 gallon glass aquarium with half rocks (too big for the frog to swallow) and half water, a screen top, a really good filtration system, and a battery operated pump to suck out the old water and replace it with new regularly (just remove the frogs first, they have no fear and will hop right up to the pump to get sucked in :rolleyes:) They like crickets a lot, as well as meal worms and other bugs. Avoid any decorations or rocks small enough for them to swallow, as they are lunge predators and can end up impacted from swallowing whatever they grab up with their food. This site is pretty good for getty accurate info on just about any type of frog: http://talkto.thefrog.org/

Fire bellies are very simple to keep. A land & water set up is best. No special heating is required, room temp is fine. A lot of times you see them in a pet store in an aquarium with almost all water & maybe a little haul out. If you notice, they don't have much color to them, mostly all black. I have one in a mixed terrarium with more land than water & mine stays a bright green. I've had him about a year & he has never turned black. He spends about 1/2 of his time in the water. I was once told that they only turn bright green during mating season, must be all year long at my house, lol. I was also told that he might be staying that color because I have a uvb bulb on him even though it's not required.
One thing that is very important with these little guys is that you change the water every day if you use a water bowl for soaking like I do.
They are pretty big eaters for being little guys. They scarf down crix like no tomorrow, along with any other insect you put in front of them.
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....even though they aren't tree frogs, they still like to climb. Keep a top on the tank. They also like to burrow. They're kind of like an all around frog/toad.

I keep three fire-bellieds toads and I have done so for over 5 years. My three are all different colours, one is lime green, one dark green and one brown!!
They make lovely pets, mine even enjoy being hand fed! They are so sweet when they do their 'squeeky' toy noise, they can be very vocal! I keep mine in a basic plastic tank with moss and a land area. I have no heat bulb or uvb, I keep them at room temperature. Mine eat all hatchling insects, crickets, locusts, wax worms and baby mealworms. I clean mine out with 100% water change twice a week.
Below is a photo of Poppy, my brown toad!!:D

Attachments

• Poppy.jpg
    Poppy.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 244
Back
Top Bottom