Finding Wild Chams

Millz&Jukka

Avid Member
Hi,
I'm currently in Uganda and possibly going to Kenya in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any idea where to go in Kenya to find wild chams? Also, if any members from Uganda or Kenya see this, it would be great to meet up someone with experience here (I'm double vaxxed and still mask + distance) as I've never been to Africa before and not sure where to start my search other than Rwenzori which may not be an option (might have to be Kenya)

Thanks!

I remember I met a guy in Malindi that was trying to sell me one for 50€ but I have no idea we're he found it, I'm sure that if you ask around you could find good spots

For what purpose? The capture & export of chameleons is being regulated in many countries (regardless of illegal poaching/trade) so check out the local laws carefully.

Getting one in to the UK may also be problematical.

I say, observe them but LEAVE THEM THERE! They belong in the wild. We have enough captive bred animals that we don’t need to be taking them from the Wild!!

For what purpose? The capture & export of chameleons is being regulated in many countries (regardless of illegal poaching/trade) so check out the local laws carefully.

Getting one in to the UK may also be problematical.
I say, observe them but LEAVE THEM THERE! They belong in the wild. We have enough captive bred animals that we don’t need to be taking them from the Wild!!

Oh yeah no way was I ever going to try and take them I just really love chams and its number 2 on my bucket list (after getting into vet school) to see them in the wild! Probably should have clarified that i am doing it purely to observe and probably cry from excitement!

Thanks for clarifying. Similar questions have been posted for different reasons, so best to ask.

You might try looking up scholarly papers or studies being done on chameleons in the areas you're asking about, and getting names & info about the authors/researchers. From there, you might be able to contact one for info or—best of all possible worlds—s/he might be willing to show you what s/he's doing. 🤓

Have you any particular vet schools in mind?

Thanks for clarifying. Similar questions have been posted for different reasons, so best to ask.

You might try looking up scholarly papers or studies being done on chameleons in the areas you're asking about, and getting names & info about the authors/researchers. From there, you might be able to contact one for info or—best of all possible worlds—s/he might be willing to show you what s/he's doing. 🤓

Have you any particular vet schools in mind?
I'm applying to Bristol in October to start 2022 and will also be applying to RVC and Bristol for vet nursing as backups too. Thanks for the tip about the scholarly papers, a great idea!

Hi,
I'm currently in Uganda and possibly going to Kenya in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any idea where to go in Kenya to find wild chams? Also, if any members from Uganda or Kenya see this, it would be great to meet up someone with experience here (I'm double vaxxed and still mask + distance) as I've never been to Africa before and not sure where to start my search other than Rwenzori which may not be an option (might have to be Kenya)

Thanks!
You can find them in a lot of areas in Kenya. Was there somewhere in particular you were planning to go? There are also many places in Uganda to find them. In both cases, you can even often find them in and around major cities.

Chris

You can find them in a lot of areas in Kenya. Was there somewhere in particular you were planning to go? There are also many places in Uganda to find them. In both cases, you can even often find them in and around major cities.

Chris
I think I'll be staying in Uganda as my dad was going to come out which would overlap but it looks like this will be a solo trip for me as his work is pushed back, I'd like to go to Rwenzori but I've never gone looking for wild chams before so not sure where to start the search or how to maximise my chances really!

I'd like to go to Rwenzori but I've never gone looking for wild chams before so not sure where to start the search or how to maximise my chances really!
Many cham species like the edges of forests, which should make things a little easier. Elevation may also play a role.
There are videos of folks hunting wild invasive chams in the States. IIRC, they say chances are better at night with flashlights.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=finding+wild+chameleons+in+kenya

As the saying goes...
"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time." :cool:

But please post any pics/vids you do take! :)

As the saying goes...
"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time." :cool:

But please post any pics/vids you do take! :)
Don't worry, I'm absolutely vigilant about having the least amount of impact as possible wherever I go, I went on an expedition to Peru a few years ago when I was 16 and took lots of pictures and left lots of footsteps but managed to take a lot of extra rubbish home with me (as in trash if you're american, I picked up trash and took it back so it wasn't in the Amazon rivers anymore) and I always have a similar attitude wherever I go! Got to clean up the planet because not many people seem to care anymore :(

Back
Top Bottom