Finally!!! I have baby supers...

tadeusz

It took a while (1.5 months) and I was about to give up today when I looked inside one of my older bins from some superworm beetles and saw these little tiny worms all over!! I was seriously ready to throw them away, cause I thought I did something wrong. Its crazy how long it took though. I even heated them up a little bit a couple weeks back to see if that would help. I still have some beetles left so I have been switching bins every other week so hopefully I'll have a bunch of supers here soon. My chams really love supers now. Just got really excited and thought you all should know!!

Glad to hear. Ive got a set up for meal, and wax worms getting ready to start up super worms next. I'm in the waiting process right now on both of them. glad to see somone else as happy as I am to be a worm rancher.

It is easy to give up because those worms take a long time to see. They are so tiny at first. Do you put pieces of potato in your oats? I do so I can see the worms crawling on the pieces of potato when you turn them over. LOL

haha for sure. I did just convince my spouse to let me try and breed dubia's and I'm hoping that will be a little easier! lol

It is easy to give up because those worms take a long time to see. They are so tiny at first. Do you put pieces of potato in your oats? I do so I can see the worms crawling on the pieces of potato when you turn them over. LOL

No potato's yet. Once I noticed them I chopped up a carrot and put the pieces in.

dubias are easier and faster. Like you, is seemed I waited forever for my first supers, but then they just keep going, going, going - like the energizer bunny.

Nice, I just had 250 large supers delivered and I will start the process again tomorrow using the biggest ones. I only started with about 20 beetles? Most look like females, probably a ratio of 14 females-6 males. How many supers would you guess I could have?

Thats good news to hear! I have tried breeding the beetles for over a month now with now success. Right now I only have seven beetles but have another six on the way to beetles. What temperature did you keep your beetles at?

Yeah, I occasionally had them on a heating pad that I use for the dubia's and I did see more activity from them. I was afraid it may be too hot!!

from my best understanding the ones that can't close their wings all the way are females and the ones that can are males. I caught a few doing the deed and I noticed that the ones on top were had their wings completely closed and the others did not. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but it was pretty distinct once I noticed.

Thats interesting on how you sex the little "buggers"...SOOOOO how much does your crew eat now???!!! And how long are they getting? another guy here in San Diego that got a male says its about 8 1/2" to 9" now...

75 to 85 is what everthing I read said to keep them at. Plus I been having better luck keeping my worms in the dark . Just put a old shirt over the container.

Thats interesting on how you sex the little "buggers"...SOOOOO how much does your crew eat now???!!! And how long are they getting? another guy here in San Diego that got a male says its about 8 1/2" to 9" now...

They are all eating like crazy!!! I give them a combination of about 10-20 crickets, 2-4 supers and a few dubia roaches every day! The largest male is about that size, I measured from snout to vent the other day and he was 6"+ not including his tail! I did have to separate the two larger ones though. They were starting to show some aggression and display colors over a particular branch they both wanted, so I just split them up about a week ago. The other larger one is about 5" snout to vent and the little guy is about 4" now (he doesn't like super worms at all!! lol).

Back
Top Bottom