Finally figure out a drainage method for my indoor cages

chameleonfan101

Established Member
:D so i for a while I've been trying to figure out how to drain the water from my indoor cages. i didn't want to simply add a 5 gallon bucket because of the looks i didn't want 6 buckets inside my house i went to ikea and found the stand for only $9:eek: so at least it give it a better look than the bucket and its pretty cheap. so for those of you who care about looks and money this is not that ugly and its pretty cheap!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 527
i have five cages all drain into a bucket i have plastic roofing material like u see in sun rooms on a slight angle screwd to the bottom of my cage which runs into a trough which runs into a bucket at one end of my enclosers

I bought some of these years ago for general storage. They make wire baskets that slide under them which would be excellent for storing bugs or whatever supplies.

They are fairly strong for how little material is used, I even put a TV on one for awhile and was even thinking about simply screening one in to make a cage...

Definitely useful... It is called the antonius system http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19876454/ Sadly it is an in store only item the don't ship

I bought some of these years ago for general storage. They make wire baskets that slide under them which would be excellent for storing bugs or whatever supplies.

They are fairly strong for how little material is used, I even put a TV on one for awhile and was even thinking about simply screening one in to make a cage...

Definitely useful... It is called the antonius system http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19876454/ Sadly it is an in store only item the don't ship

i only got one to try it out and im pretty happy with it so i might get some more for my other cages. using one as a cage would actually be nice i did not think of that! great idea. :D maybe ill try it one of those weekends when you have nothing to do :D

i only got one to try it out and im pretty happy with it so i might get some more for my other cages. using one as a cage would actually be nice i did not think of that! great idea. :D maybe ill try it one of those weekends when you have nothing to do :D

If you get two of them they stack nicely so it wouldn't be too difficult to screen off 1.5 frames and make a huge tall enclosure on casters you can roll outside. The only issue I had was that some of the slide rails can get a little sharp and would require either being covered or ground down. Actually I was also not 100% what the best way to fasten screen to the frame and how to build an access door that wouldn't be ugly.

If I ever have noting to do on a weekend I'd love to help out! I'm hoping to get a shop set up sometime this year so I can get all my tools out of storage. When I do I'll be happy to host cage building parties!

Our solution

We use a reptibreeze and build our own planter box: Wood Frame with PVC inlay, folded, sealed at the top with aluminum angles. The box and the PVC is perforated in the center to allow drainage. Cage glued on top. Bottom has a standard water basin for planters and wheels for moving the cage around (as he is next to the window in Spring. When it gets too hot in Summer, he will be moved inside during the day.)
Very cheap solution. Plywood is about 10 USD for a 18x18" base and 1 USD for the PVC and 2 USD for the aluminum angles. Wheels are about 5 USD

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 253
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 177
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 228
its only $9 you should definitely get one haha:D

:D so i for a while I've been trying to figure out how to drain the water from my indoor cages. i didn't want to simply add a 5 gallon bucket because of the looks i didn't want 6 buckets inside my house i went to ikea and found the stand for only $9:eek: so at least it give it a better look than the bucket and its pretty cheap. so for those of you who care about looks and money this is not that ugly and its pretty cheap!:D

Did you drill holes in the solid base?

Everyone has already said this.. but AMMMMAAZZING!!! AND THANKS for letting me steal your awesome idea :)

It looks like you got the one with the hard top on the storage organizer. How is the water draining to the bucket? Right now i have a drainage pan that drains into a bucket and it seems that some of the water is not going down, which means old stagnant water..yuck.

is there any way that you could give us a part number i like this idea but i cant find this particular stand

Back
Top Bottom