filarial worm removal

Worms under the skin?! Under human skin?! Common enough that there are debatably effective home remedies? In America?! I was much happier believing that wasn't a thing.

I think karma is talking about chiggers.

I used to raise boxers. It was pretty common for them to get ring worm and from time to time i would get it. Any antifungal cream will work.

Chiggers?! Right, I'm going back to England, no wonder we gave you independance, didn't want you bringing gross bugs back.

Did you know that's even a wives tale about chiggers? The mite burrows into your skin, takes a blood meal, and then jumps off. By the time those blasted itchy red spots pop up there's nothing in there anymore, just residual irritation from the mite's saliva. So putting nail polish on it doesn't do squat because there's nothing in there to suffocate anymore. Fun fact for the day. ;)

O'ferret to hell with that :D..I use to seriously fish and camp most of every summer for many years..They stay on for a few days. If i didnt cover them with polish i would literally itch the effin spot so much i would literally dig them out of my skin LOL! :p

Did you know that's even a wives tale about chiggers? The mite burrows into your skin, takes a blood meal, and then jumps off. By the time those blasted itchy red spots pop up there's nothing in there anymore, just residual irritation from the mite's saliva. So putting nail polish on it doesn't do squat because there's nothing in there to suffocate anymore. Fun fact for the day. ;)

I believe she is actually talking about a cuterebra, those things are nasty!

Bot flys are pretty nasty as well. The maggot or larvae lives directly under the skin. Most cases you can feel them eating you. There was a lady on discovery channel that had one eating her. They video taped the little bugger eating a hole under her skin. It still gives me the heeby jeebys when I think about it.

Thankfully most cases are in cattle. The odd time we end up with them. Mostly in tropical climates though.

Anyways, back to the worms. I will post pics of the little sucker I pull from the male in the next couple days. It seems to be the biggest.

Last edited:
I believe she is actually talking about a cuterebra, those things are nasty!

No I am talking about chiggers. If I ever got a cuterebra I think I'd take a scalpel to the area myself and be permanently scared and it'd be worth it. Cuterebra are bot fly larvae and very different (and beyond disgusting.) Texas vets are well schooled in parasitology since we have so many nasty creatures here in our near year-round summers.

And trust me ataraxia, I know your pain!! As a pretty serious hiker I got chiggers several times each summer and nearly scratched my skin right off every time too! It's a reaction to the saliva but that bug is long gone by the time you even know it was there in the first place. Here's a little wiki read for you doubters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae#Handling_Chigger_Bites.

Last edited:
Very interesting Drew. I would love to observe this one day. You going on Sunday??

You "would love to observe this"???!!!
Ok I have had vivid, terrifying nightmares about my chameleons having worms wriggling about in their skin. On multiple occasions. Just from reading a vague non-descriptive reference to it once, over a year ago!!
Can I just state for the record that I for one would NOT love to observe this!! Not even in my dreams, anymore, ever again, pretty please and thank you!!!

You "would love to observe this"???!!!
Ok I have had vivid, terrifying nightmares about my chameleons having worms wriggling about in their skin. On multiple occasions. Just from reading a vague non-descriptive reference to it once, over a year ago!!
Can I just state for the record that I for one would NOT love to observe this!! Not even in my dreams, anymore, ever again, pretty please and thank you!!!

Not observe it it with one of my chameleons. I would like to observe Drew or another qualified person performing the removal. For future knowledge, ( that I would love to never have to use )

I knew what you meant Hoj, was just joking. :)
For real though, I do have recurring nightmares about this. Incredibly disturbing. I can't imagine dealing with it in real life.

Back
Top Bottom