Ficus Trees and Automatic Misters

Orcawhale

I have just received Vincent's new cage (24x24x48) I am planning to put a ficus tree in there, but also have an automatic mister running. (monsoon rs 400) I know from past experience that ficus trees don't like to be over watered, and I'm afraid that might happen with the cage being rather densely misted for 45 seconds every 4 hours. Has anyone used an automatic mister in the same enclosure as a ficus? Thanks!
Photo on 7-19-16 at 9.12 AM.jpg
Photo on 7-19-16 at 9.13 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 7-19-16 at 9.13 AM #3.jpg

I don't have personal experience with ficus trees, but maybe, depending how you set your enclosure up, you could get another ficus and rotate the trees so one doesn't get waterlogged?

Great call, That is exactly what I did a few years ago. A ficus will inevitably get waterlogged with an automated misting system. You will need to rotate them in and out or you will kill it eventually. Just stick one outside so it dries and don't water it

20160714_210708.jpg I have the same mister and two ficus trees in the enclosure. You will need a good light for the trees as well. I've noticed that my ficus trees are showing new growth where they get plenty of light so I turn the plant when I clean the enclosure.

View attachment 162303 I have the same mister and two ficus trees in the enclosure. You will need a good light for the trees as well. I've noticed that my ficus trees are showing new growth where they get plenty of light so I turn the plant when I clean the enclosure.
Ah that makes sense, How long have you had them in there for? Have they gotten waterlogged? What settings is your monsoon on?

I only have one sprayer set up in the back corner. The mister is set for 1 minute of spraying every 2 hours but I change that to every hour if it's needed.

I only have one sprayer set up in the back corner. The mister is set for 1 minute of spraying every 2 hours but I change that to every hour if it's needed.
How did you get only one sprayer? I've had both nosels running in a 36x36x18. I swear its been a disaster, water everywhere. Really really stressful.

I got both when I ordered it but I only hooked up one when I put it together. I figured I see how the one worked out before I did both. The one sprayer is working out great.

I got both when I ordered it but I only hooked up one when I put it together. I figured I see how the one worked out before I did both. The one sprayer is working out great.
Okay, mine came with both sprayers connected, as in there is one tube that comes out of the mister and it splits in two, so far I've been unable to figure out how to run one without also running the other.

i had a ficus for 3-4months in my glass tank without problems...
they lose a lot of leaves but that's just ficus I guess.

So you didn't use the tubing that came with the monsoon? What tubing did you use? Sorry if I'm being pesky, my room has had towels all over the place for too long :D

I have the same system....instead of hooking two nozzles into the splitter.....just hook one nozzle directly into it, ill draw a half a** diagram please hold lol

I have the same system....instead of hooking two nozzles into the splitter.....just hook one nozzle directly into it, ill draw a half a** diagram please hold lol
Thank you so much. This is a huuggeee stress relief to me xD. Like I said, I've had both nozzels going in a baby- sized cage...

Now that I have this new cage, how do you recommend I drain it? I've been using a drainage tray and siphoning the water out with a straw...there must be a better way.

I also got this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Prog...62754&sr=8-1&keywords=1+second+electric+timer

Reason i did was because if you notice, the monsoon can only be set by intervals, it has no real timer. So lets say for example you set it for 45 seconds every 3 hours. Lets say you start at 8am. It will spray at 8am...then 11am....then 2pm....then 5pm.....8pm.....11pm....2am......see how this could be bad, while the cham is sleeping it will start to spray at night, the monsoon as no sense of lights on or off time only when to spray for a set amount of hours. So i got this timer, set the monsoon on a always "on" position, and set the timer to give electricity to the monsoon for 45 sec for my settings of 9/11/1/5 with lights on at 7am and lights off at 8pm (which is on a separate timer). I read a lot of horror story's of the monsoon timers getting fried due to the condensation that would build up making them dump all there water and then run dry and break. So by getting this timer i added a fail safe if that happens and i virtually never have to worry about getting home in time to turn it off so my cham doesnt get sprayed at night. win win for 12$

Back
Top Bottom