Ficus Tree Maintenance

I LITTERALY just got this today and its too fuck1ng big for my new cage ?‍♂️?☠?‍♂️?☠?‍♂️?☠☠☠ but i can still use it for free range room, just need yo keep the light on it ?

Your plant is root bound. I can tell by the size of that plant versus the size of that pot. Youll need to transplant to a bigger pot with more soil. Water b4 & after you transplant, & some mykos mycorrhizal organic root enhancer in the hole b4 transplant wont hurt.

Your plant is root bound. I can tell by the size of that plant versus the size of that pot. Youll need to transplant to a bigger pot with more soil. Water b4 & after you transplant, & some mykos mycorrhizal organic root enhancer in the hole b4 transplant wont hurt.
Okay thanks for the suggestion, im ordering some ASAP starting to get worried with all the loss and not much growth ? is an 11Inch pot big enough? Ive also read they like it humid? So put a humidifier in there and with the curtain AND door closed it gets REALLY foggy cuz its such a tiny bathroom ? i hope these lights are close enough. Im just to buy some 6500 bulbs /dual fixture.HOPEFULLY my LAST purchase for a while hahah

The bigger the pot the more soil the better. I make pots out of whatever, if i were u I’d just get a 5 gal bucket from lowes or somewhere, or clean one out really good that you already have drill some holes in the bottom for drainage and your good. You can also make pots out of black bags, i once used garbage bags & just poked sum holes n the bottom of the bags lol. When you take the plant out of the pot to transplant break up the roots a lil bit with your fingers. I’d burry it to the red line in the pic as well.

What kind of ficus? Sorry if it was already mentioned.

Getting to close to basking bulb can def scorch leaves, but you’ll know it when they do.

Some plants like to dry out a little between waterings (fiddle leafs do, and they are a ficus). You cant let them dry out in a cham cage, but you can make sure the drainage is top notch by adding things like charcoal, orchid bark, etc to your soil around and under its roots.

As James said, your plants also need to acclimate to any environmental changes, even if they are good ones (like brighter indirect light). Give it a little time to adjust, but also check what that particular pant prefers. If it doesnt like staying wet, you need to make sure you soil is extremely well draining.

I disagree with the bigger/the better in terms of pots. Its typically recommended to pot up one size if you suspect the plant is root bound. Roots popping out of the bottom is usually a good indication you need to size up one size. Some plants, like philodendrons, almost prefer to be a little cramped. Any excess soil will hold onto moisture, which can encourage rot and yellowing leaves.

If your tree were planted in the ground, its a different story as the roots spread out and down... but the rain is (usually) not daily, and if it is, it is growing in soil that drains well... or soil it likes. Swamp and bog plants love sitting in water... but plants only thrive in the conditions that are appropriate. Not all plants love water and sunshine as much as the next.

What kind of ficus? Sorry if it was already mentioned.

Getting to close to basking bulb can def scorch leaves, but you’ll know it when they do.

Some plants like to dry out a little between waterings (fiddle leafs do, and they are a ficus). You cant let them dry out in a cham cage, but you can make sure the drainage is top notch by adding things like charcoal, orchid bark, etc to your soil around and under its roots.

As James said, your plants also need to acclimate to any environmental changes, even if they are good ones (like brighter indirect light). Give it a little time to adjust, but also check what that particular pant prefers. If it doesnt like staying wet, you need to make sure you soil is extremely well draining.
It is a Benjamina ficus. Ive read they like humidity and to only water once soil is dry to to touch, i check at the drainage hole to ensure it is dry all the way through. I can take down a crate to take it away from the lights but i thought it NEEDED the light.

I disagree with the bigger/the better in terms of pots. Its typically recommended to pot up one size if you suspect the plant is root bound. Roots popping out of the bottom is usually a good indication you need to size up one size. Some plants, like philodendrons, almost prefer to be a little cramped. Any excess soil will hold onto moisture, which can encourage rot and yellowing leaves.

If your tree were planted in the ground, its a different story as the roots spread out and down... but the rain is (usually) not daily, and if it is, it is growing in soil that drains well... or soil it likes. Swamp and bog plants love sitting in water... but plants only thrive in the conditions that are appropriate. Not all plants love water and sunshine as much as the next.

in this case BIGGER IS most definitely BETTER :p 5 gallon is what i would use for this plant. I always make my own soil w/coco and only water as needed ive never had any problems w/root rot. With a 5 gallon you wont have to water as much, and you wont have to transplant as many times which saves on stress to the plant & the plant can grow to its full potential faster & not be held back by the size of its pot. The less you transplant, the less stress the better, no need for up n one size at a time.

in this case BIGGER IS most definitely BETTER :p 5 gallon is what i would use for this plant. I always make my own soil w/coco and only water as needed ive never had any problems w/root rot. With a 5 gallon you wont have to water as much, and you wont have to transplant as many times which saves on stress to the plant & the plant can grow to its full potential faster & not be held back by the size of its pot. The less you transplant, the less stress the better, no need for up n one size at a time.

Oh for sure - I interpreted your original post as “get the biggest pot you can.” Putting it in a 20” pot wont do it any favors, but over potting is a common mistake (which encourages over watering which is the #1 mistake).

Back
Top Bottom