Ficus Pruning?

Tyaeda

Established Member
I'm not all that experienced with plants, but I want to try my hand at owning a ficus. I don't think I'll use it inside the enclosure, but instead as a free range perch that I can use when Mr.Pink's cage is being cleaned.

I noticed a small problem with it though - they have a ton of small branches that would make it difficult for my nearly full grown cham to navigate around in. Will the plant suffer if I cut a lot of that out?

No, it won't really hurt the plant. Just buy some good pruners, and snip off any dead or wirey branches you don't like. I cut off maybe 1/2 of the tree matter because it was TOO DENSE for even my hand to get through, now it's doing fine.

Keep in mind that you might want to rinse it when you're finished, then allow it a day or two outside to "recover" and scab over. When you put it inside, leave it by a window (no UVB gets through a window as far as I know, but they seem to enjoy the light).

WARNING: IT WILL DROP ALL ITS LEAVES.

this happened with both my ficuses. they grew back all their leaves later.

Its not a problem thinning it out. Just make sure to keep it out of the cage like suggested until the cuts heal over. The sap that will ooze is really sticky and is a irritant. If the branch's are thin I use a razor blade to get nice clean cuts.

Carl

Its not a problem thinning it out. Just make sure to keep it out of the cage like suggested until the cuts heal over. The sap that will ooze is really sticky and is a irritant. If the branch's are thin I use a razor blade to get nice clean cuts.

Carl

That's a real good idea with the razor. I was just going to use regular pruning shears.... thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom