Ficus problems.

Snootchie0210

I can't seem to be able to get a Ficus Benjamina to thrive in my enclosure. I have 2 dead ones in there right now while the other Pothos plants I have are doing very well. Any input? The only thing I can think of is that I may be over-watering them with my misting system. I have my MistKing set to go off every 2 hours for a minute (and only during lights-on time). But I've done some research on misting settings and a lot of people seems to be misting more frequently and for longer durations than I do. I'm upgrading to a bigger enclosure and really want to try my luck with Ficus again (just cause they are branchy). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~Ryan

I don't think ficus do very well compared to schefflera and pothos in the high humidity. That's probably your issue. The chameleon actually needs less water than you think, so does the plant. I would set the mister to go off maybe 3 times a day but only for around 20-30 seconds, and that way you'll get water droplets on the leaves and the plant will be fine with the water.

Yeah. I'm a little iffy about changing the settings now. Dexter's doing well with the settings now. I want a ficus to thrive there...but not at the expense of Dexter's well being. Hehe. But my new enclosure should be arriving soon. Maybe a change is in order.

I'm going out tomorrow to look for a Alii ficus or a amstel king ficus because they apparently do better in doors than normal ficus. I'll let you know how it goes :)

I have a 4 foot Hawaiian Ficus that he free ranges on. No problem with that one. But I want a branchy tree for his cage too. Hehe.

Did you add 1 inch of rock at the bottom of the pot with screen on top? I have two cages with them thriving with the same misting schedule.

Did you add 1 inch of rock at the bottom of the pot with screen on top? I have two cages with them thriving with the same misting schedule.

Nope. That's the first time I've heard of that. Can you elaborate on that? I want to try it. I've repotted mine. And used organic soil. But no mentions of rocks on the other recommendations I've read.

I mist 5 times a day from 45 secs to maybe 1 in half mins. We were watering to much so try to make sure the drainage is good on it. Thats one of the biggest things to do. to much water will def kill it. Make better drainage and it should turn around.

I mist 5 times a day from 45 secs to maybe 1 in half mins. We were watering to much so try to make sure the drainage is good on it. Thats one of the biggest things to do. to much water will def kill it. Make better drainage and it should turn around.

Yeah. The plants are on pots with drain holes. And they're not on the bottom of the screen. I have them propped up a good 6 inches off the bottom of the cage (make cleaning easier). So the excess water does run off them.

Ficus

I had the same issue, and heard locally in Ohio people had the same issue. I just stopped using them,, I thought maybe to much light,, but I never looked into it. But I will add that the greenhouses in my area have always told me, (more about my outdoor plants) success may be related to where they are raised. Buy white pines that were potted up out of the south won't do as well as ones started up here. So I will presume this may relate to a lot of plants.

I will say my jax preferred to sleep in the ficus if they were in the cages.

This was my old female jax cage I made back in 2001. I will NEVER make that kind again lol.

cage2.jpg

Remove all dirt from the pot. Then add 1 inch of rock. Lava rock works great and is cheap. Then put 2 layers of screen over the rock so the dirt can't mix with the rock. I got fiberglass window screen from Lowes for 9 bucks. Then add at least one inch of dirt over the screen. Then continue to pot as normal. The one inch of rock sperated from the dirt allows the dirt to drain and dry between mistings.

Jason

Remove all dirt from the pot. Then add 1 inch of rock. Lava rock works great and is cheap. Then put 2 layers of screen over the rock so the dirt can't mix with the rock. I got fiberglass window screen from Lowes for 9 bucks. Then add at least one inch of dirt over the screen. Then continue to pot as normal. The one inch of rock sperated from the dirt allows the dirt to drain and dry between mistings.

Jason

Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated. I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom