Ficus Benjimina

Ellron

Established Member
I recently stumpled upon a nice ficus.
I read up on it here, Ficus Benjimina and it mentions a sap causing skin and eye problems.
Has anyone had problems using this ficus?
My guy nibbles on his umbrella tree and well as his hibuscus, but he isnt a huge plant eater.

I haven't had a problem with the ficus. I would remove the ficus if my guy kept eating the leaves though.

not really a problem

There are lots of reports of problems *in people* involving various _Ficus_. I think the poisonous plant lists often conflate human and animal reactions. I'm at work, but when I get home and have my references I'll edit this post with the veterinary incidents with F. benjimina. It certainly is one of the safer species.

Ive noticed now that I use schefflerra in my enclosures I have had no eye issues whatsoever in my collection. I do think that if you get a ficus that produces alot of that sappy white excretion it can cause eye issues with some chams. I think some chams are more prone to eye problems than others and for those with prior eye issues I wouldnt use ficus in their cages. Jm exp.

more info

I can not find any cases of animal poisonings or eye problems requiring continuing veterinary care in my references, for F. benjamina.

It is one of the most common houseplants, and at poison control centers, it is one of the plants most frequently asked about. In spite of this, there are not many citations. This points to its overall lack of risk to our animals.

As I mentioned, almost all cases in the records are for contact dermatitis in people. In the book : 'Toxicity of Houseplants', by Spoerke and Smolinske, they say that approximately 6% of individuals working with Ficus eventually become reactive.

Several other species of Ficus with sap that is quite toxic or irritating; I would recommend avoiding F. nekbudu, F. lyrata, and F. pumila (the creeping fig).

Enjoy your new Ficus.

keywords: _Ficus_ sap irritating irritation eye ocular toxicity reactivity dermatitis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom