FFA Fertilizer…

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys, I’m going to do bunnies this year for FFA and since they poop so much would I be able to use it as fertilizer for Codas cage since I don’t use real fertilizer ?

Are we talking about a bioactive enclosure or what?
Wouldn't bunny balls BE "real" fertilizer? :unsure:

Can rabbits carry anything symbiotically that could adversely affect chameleons?
Zoonoses Associated with Rabbits

pathogens carried by rabbits

The above deal with diseases passed from rabbits to humans only because 'pathogens passed from rabbits to reptiles' didn't yield any results.

Just thinking about it though, enough questions come to mind (way more than above) that I think I'd be inclined not to risk it, but that's me.

You can bake it, though I wouldn't do that unless I had a spare/outdoor/trash oven personally. Plus, who knows if it'll kill everything (I have no experience with it, so I don't know the specifics to do it correctly).

Last edited:
How do you sterilize poop??
Poop can certainly be sterilized, it's just digested organic matter with bacteria. In fact, mushroom growers sterilize manure to grow off of.

You can bake it, though I wouldn't do that unless I had a spare/outdoor/trash oven personally. Plus, who knows if it'll kill everything (I have no experience with it, so I don't know the specifics to do it correctly).
It would most definitely kill everything if done right. Though I agree with you about the oven haha. It could also be boiled, or any sort of heat treatment.

Poop can certainly be sterilized, it's just digested organic matter with bacteria. In fact, mushroom growers sterilize manure to grow off of.

It would most definitely kill everything if done right. Though I agree with you about the oven haha. It could also be boiled, or any sort of heat treatment.
Oh I have no doubts it can be, I was just wondering how do you go about sterilizing it.

I know the soils I use have some type of poop based on the smell lol

Rabbit manure is an excellent fertilizer; unlike most it doesn't even need to be composted before applying to plants. Unlike most manure it won't burn them with too much nitrogen, either.

If your bunny poop is collected I'm a tray, I'd say there's no need to sterilize. Domestic rabbits have extremely fragile immune systems so they're very unlike to carry pathogens, and especially not any transmissible to reptiles.

If you're collecting poop from the ground, I'd say you should sterilize it. Never know what animals visited it, or bugs decided to make it their new home 😄

I know some people use pressure cookers, ovens, microwaves, boiling. Anything with intense heat
You really only need to get it just above boiling (I do 215° F) to sterilize. Since my partner gets upset about me baking dirt and poop for some reason, I've started doing it outside in a DIY solar oven made from cardboard, tinfoil, and a piece of glass. An oven thermometer is also very helpful to make sure it's getting up to temp

You really only need to get it just above boiling (I do 215° F) to sterilize. Since my partner gets upset about me baking dirt and poop for some reason, I've started doing it outside in a DIY solar oven made from cardboard, tinfoil, and a piece of glass. An oven thermometer is also very helpful to make sure it's getting up to temp
I've had the same strange problem, can't seem to understand what the problem is.

One time I baked dirt and it gave off this sweet smell. Wife came home and was all surprised, thought I was cooking her something as a surprise 😆

Also, great idea on the solar oven. I just let my leaf litter sit in the driveway for a bit.

One time I baked dirt and it gave off this sweet smell. Wife came home and was all surprised, thought I was cooking her something as a surprise 😆

Also, great idea on the solar oven. I just let my leaf litter sit in the driveway for a bit.
Yeah, I've had the baked goods mix-up when I bake things containing too much maple.

That's a good idea; I tend to get a little more complicated than absolutely necessary... 🤔

Wow thanks guys! How does the solar oven work? Can you send a pic?
Unfortunately, we're in the process of moving, and that went in the first batch...

Basically it's just a 5-sided (no top) cardboard box painted black. Put aluminum foil around the inside to reflect heat, and lay a piece of glass over the top to let sun in. If you want it really efficient, angle two sides of the box so the top glass is almost perpendicular to the rays of the sun. Don't forget an oven thermometer inside to check temps, and a hot pad outside to move the glass with! Aluminum tape is also helpful for attaching the glass (and won't melt, unlike my original duct tape...)

Back
Top Bottom