Few questions from a newbie

Rhino

I have yet to purchase a chameleon, but I have been doing a lot of research and reading here over the last couple of months. I have a couple of questions:

I am going to buy a 24 x 24 x 48 cage locally (aluminum.) If I purchase a baby cham, can I cut off about half of the height on this cage (with mesh from home depot?) This way I wouldn't have to buy a small cage for now and a big one for later. Or is this a bad idea and I should just buy both cages?

I plan on keeping the cham in my basement where there is far less traffic and noise. My dog is not allowed in the basement (the only part of the house she is not allowed in.) The constant temperature in my basement is 68 degrees. Is this a suitable nighttime temperature? Would I need to purchase a ceramic heater to keep the cage warmer at night when no lights are on?

Thanks all for your time.

Mike

Welcome to the Chameleon Forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. What kind of Cham are you planning to get? and what age? Only using half the cage should work and 68 at night would be good except for a really young baby.

I am planning to buy a baby panther cham. Probably around 4 months of age or so. I am hoping for a nosy be.

68 degrees is perfectly fine. No need for a ceramic heater. In the winter you may notice it gets even colder than that in a basement. If so do not use a ceramic heater, heat rock or heat pad. I would recommend an infrared light if this is the case.

Thanks. Believe it or not, in the winter it somehow stays 68 degrees. Of course, with my reptiles down there I usually shut the door to the basement so the heat does not escape. That helps. In the spring/summer, I open the door to let the heat escape.

I will cross the ceramic heater off my list and add on infrared light.

Back
Top Bottom