Few Jackson questions

jackson08

So my Jackson when I have his red basking light on during the night he doesn't sleep. Is that ok or what can I do to make it ok? Also would it be ok for a female jackson to be in the cage with him?

Ditch the red bulb, they need zero light to sleep... pitch black would be best.

Housing a female with him would not be a good idea, most chameleons are solitary.

Ditch the red bulb, they need zero light to sleep... pitch black would be best.

Housing a female with him would not be a good idea, most chameleons are solitary.

Go it in one, the red bulbs just don't work for chams, if you need extra heat at night go ceramic and yes don't ad a female it wont end good

Go it in one, the red bulbs just don't work for chams, if you need extra heat at night go ceramic and yes don't ad a female it wont end good

This is a good option (ceramic heat emitter)....

Though indoors i doubt it would ever get too cold for jacksons. Jacksons are montane chameleons that come from areas that can drop to nearly freezing at night. Mine have seen temps down into the 40's and seem to thrive with these cool drops, given they have the chance to warm up come daytime..

Thanks a lot for the help guys his temp gage at night is around 65 so that should be fine. Is 72 during the day a good temp as well?

still a bit cool, they need the heat to digest properly.

try getting your basking temp around 80-83.

How old is your Jackson? Mine is 13 months and I now have his basking between 84 - 85. They need a good drop in temps at night too, of about 10 degrees if you can achieve this.

He is 9 months old. I had the heat lamp on for awhile it was hitting temps of 88 and 89. So I am going to go get a new ceramic bulb tonight. The one I have just gets way to hot! He stars geting really black when I have that light on. So I have kept it off and put him near a window during the day till I get a new light. The temp I just got was 84 but I would much rather have a light. Thanks for all the much needed help guys!

The basking (white light) bulb serves two purposes - it simulates the sun shining and encourages them to bask underneath it. They go darker when basking to absorb more heat anyway. Is there a way that you could raise the bulb to create a lower basking temp?

Most people here just use household incandescent bulbs (the kind you can buy in the grocery store) for basking bulbs. One of the great things is they come in a really wide range of power making it easy to get the right temperature.

Back
Top Bottom