Females Panthers first attempt

I have read the post about female chameleons and attempting to lay but what about before that? I keep freaking out and already spent over $600 at the vet ( he probably thinks I'm a wackjob ) And her eggs aren't even half-formed yet.

First vet visit was because she was laying on her side under the heat lamp in the day and turning grayish. I thought she was about to die because she let go of the branch too easy and curled in my hand. My vet got her in asap! He said for her age ( 14 months ) she might be trying to make eggs. So we did an x-ray and yes found there were 6 eggs forming and no parasites were found. 😅 I was relieved when he said she is just stressing and first time laying eggs are hard on a female. Just in case he gave me some drops of calcium and said raise the heat a little.
Well, she was ok looking for a week but then started to get darker and refused to eat. We went back to the vet and did blood work all good 😫 her weight is good and we is hydrated still no signs of MBD. Just an overly stressed I'm here !!! My male is perfectly fine and his cage is a mirror image of hers. They have not mated but have seen each other passing when I take them outside for sun.
Is this normal for a first-time infertile clutch? I don't want to go back to the vet. He is awesome and has done this for 40 years, published books and is full of information, so I don't have any reason to not trust his advice or diagnosis. I'm just so paranoid!! I only bought a female because I loved her cream, black and white markings. Didn't know girl problems were this bad. Any advice to comfort her?

At this point, I put her back in the medium repti breeze cage to better monitor her movement, eating, drinking, and bowel movements.

Before I moved her this was her set up
Cage 20x20x48
Lighting Arcadia prot5 UVB on at 7:30 am off at 7:30 pm
Plants are pothos, money trees, and polka dot plant
Basking temps 80-85, middle of cage 77, and cool spots at 74.
Bottom was filled with 10 inches of digging space that inclines to 12 towards the back
Auto mister comes on first thing in the morning and once before lights out. Fogger on middle of the night.
Feeding crickets, Black soldier flies, Black soldier fly larvae discord roaches ( Florida can't have Dubai) tried small super worms she doesn't seem to like them or hornworms (treat)
All feedings get calcium without d3 every other feeding bee pollen and twice monthly repashy calcium plus.
Attached are pictures from when I got her at 4 months old, 6 months old, 1years old as she turn pink. Then before the vet looks like death. ( of course when we go to the vet her pinks up )

Attachments

• 8FDA70D8-BB0E-413E-9B8F-7C6FF54E1D9B.jpeg
    8FDA70D8-BB0E-413E-9B8F-7C6FF54E1D9B.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 107
  • CC15A2E2-C72E-43B9-AEBA-1CDD307C0999.jpeg
    CC15A2E2-C72E-43B9-AEBA-1CDD307C0999.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1ED940D3-B01B-416E-AA98-1BA524E4341D.jpeg
    1ED940D3-B01B-416E-AA98-1BA524E4341D.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2DF23723-47F5-406A-B5B5-16786FA01647.jpeg
    2DF23723-47F5-406A-B5B5-16786FA01647.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 35A22C55-E440-4C7D-B7E5-14AA96ECD76A.jpeg
    35A22C55-E440-4C7D-B7E5-14AA96ECD76A.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 105
Here is her cage that she was in. Minus some of the branches, vines, and live plants I moved I to the temporary cage I put her in.

Attachments

• EA499473-2DA4-4143-A39F-BD0D61983225.jpeg
    EA499473-2DA4-4143-A39F-BD0D61983225.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 91
No that can’t be!! Seeing different interiors and only fake plants! While your enclosures look different
I believe the last pic is now.... Not good if it is because that cham is dying. They talk about how they put her in the smaller original cage after the last vet visit. Hopefully they respond soon.

At first glance everything looks perfect regarding husbandry and even the vet did his job. She doesn’t look gravid/egg bound at the last picture (not bloated like normal), but you’re saying an X-ray confirmed 6 eggs developed. Couldn’t this be some sort of egg poisoning (like with humans, pregnancy poisoning) because she does look receptive and healthy at the other pics. Just thinking up loud @kinyonga

So wait a minute the last pic... when was that taken? Because there she does not look healthy and she looks extremely thin.
Today. She did not look like that yesterday. Today her eyes are sunken which they weren't before.
So wait a minute the last pic... when was that taken? Because there she does not look healthy and she looks extremely thin.
Pink picture with the purple flower a month ago and the other pink two weeks ago

the last picture she dying 🥵 take her to a vet
I have had her the vet twice which is why I came to ask to make sure I'm not overacting but they aren't in till Monday. Which I can bring her before they open at 6am. Because each time she looks like death I take her and for him, she stays pink all-day and active. Makes me look paranoid. It can't be egg-bound because last week's x-ray showed they are still developing. Anything I should ask them to check? We did a parasite test and it was negative. An X-ray confirmed she is forming eggs. The blood work was good. No MBD signs. The ruling was first-time egg-lay is hard on females. Sometimes take more calcium so I was given liquid calcium to give to her every other day.

At first glance everything looks perfect regarding husbandry and even the vet did his job. She doesn’t look gravid/egg bound at the last picture (not bloated like normal), but you’re saying an X-ray confirmed 6 eggs developed. Couldn’t this be some sort of egg poisoning (like with humans, pregnancy poisoning) because she does look receptive and healthy at the other pics. Just thinking up loud @kinyonga
Can the vet check for that? Either way, I'll ask Dr. Rossi to be sure! Ty

I wish I could say, I was just thinking out loud. Like you’re explaining, they already checked everything and that’s strange nothing pops up, because she really looks like to be in a bad shape. Hopefully, everything can be sorted out 🙏🏻

If she has gone from looking healthy like that to her current state in 2 weeks then something is very very wrong. Vet asap. You are not over reacting with how she looks right now. Something is very wrong. And not to freak you out but she looks like she is on deaths door.

You said..."It can't be egg-bound because last week's x-ray showed they are still developing"...how did the vet decide they were still developing?

He said they didn't look fully formed yet. Reason behind giving her the liquid calcium drops. I'm not trained on chameleon X-rays or eggs but I could see what looked to be a couple of eggs (white round spots almost like part of a string of pearls), fully formed or not I do not know. I took his word when He said looked like 6 eggs and some still forming 🤷🏻‍♀️.

I asked to see what the vet was basing it on Netflix whether he knew what chameleon "eggs" looked like when not fully formed yet.

Round shaped "eggs" are follicles and oval eggs are fully formed.

If follicles do not progress to eggs then they can lead to death of the chameleon. If eggs cannot be laid then that can lead to death. It's hard to determine if either is the case though by looking at the X-rays.

She is definitely not doing well no matter who's going on...so it needs to be solved very quickly.

Thanks, maybe that's what he meant still forming? Either way, she didn't eat her last feeding but did drink. Still offered small crickets and roaches in her dish in case. Today she had a bowel movement looks hydrated but the poop part is not so solid and greenish. It has to be something with the eggs because we tested negative for parasites unless at that time they couldn't be seen? I don't know I'm so lost and feel helpless. I've done everything I've read to make her more comfortable just wish she could speak and say where she's not feeling good or hurts. I called the emergency vet here and they don't treat reptiles just birds and small and furry 😡. I left a message at my vet to see if they had a number for anyone else on the weekends. No answer as of yet. I appreciate all the info and pray she makes it till Monday if I don't find one open weekend.

Back
Top Bottom